PDA

View Full Version : Depressed and have just become extremely anxious - any ideas on how to calm down?

Scaredy_Cat
07-01-14, 04:56
Been going through a really though time recently. I've suffered with anxiety for a long time, but at the moment (due to circumstances) I'm depressed. I've been drinking heavily over the Christmas period. For the past week I've been drinking at least a bottle of wine each night. I'm 24 and only weigh just over 7 stone (normal weight for me). It's gotten to a point now though where my tolerance has built and I don't even feel drunk. I don't even feel hungover the next day, which is really weird. I've even started smoking, which only makes me feel more anxious, but while I'm doing it it's a kind of release.

I know I need to sort this out, but tonight I really don't know what to do. I've just had a cigarette and now I feel extremely anxious. I just want to go to sleep but my anxiety has kicked in big time. Does anyone have any ideas on how to calm down right now? Not looking for a long-term solution, just for the here and now. Really feel like I'm losing it right now.

Thanks

Sparkle1984
07-01-14, 08:40
Are you currently receiving treatment for depression? I think you need to see your doctor before this spirals out of control, especially as you are using unhealthy coping techniques. It's a matter of finding which treatment works best for you.

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

I'm currently having success with 20mg citalopram, 20 minutes exercise first thing each morning, drinking more water, and having weekly online therapy. I hope you soon find something which works for you. :)

hanshan
07-01-14, 10:29
Hi ScaredyCat,

Some of the things you mention indicate that you are at a higher than usual risk of alcohol abuse - drinking a at least bottle of wine a night to cope with problems, without feeling drunk or hungover the next day.

At your age, this is so dangerous.

For the moment, I can suggest a hot bath or an engaging video as a way to come down, but they may not be entirely helpful.

Long-term, you do need to make a change. Doctors have better medications for fighting anxiety than alcohol and nicotine, plus varieties of talk therapy. That's the way to go.

GILBERTANDDAUGHTER
07-01-14, 11:02
For instant relief its deep breathing. But drinking only makes your symptoms worse and anything with caffine. Stay away from these and you will start to feel relief. Believe meditration exercises do work. Buy a cd and loose yourself in it. Things will get better just do away with the wine.

Sparkle1984
07-01-14, 13:57
I just remembered we spoke a couple of months ago and you said you had a doctor's appointment booked for mid-November. As that was nearly 2 months ago and you feel your condition still hasn't improved, and that in some ways it's got worse, I'd suggest going back again. Many people face blips on their way to recovery, especially if you're going through a tough time at the moment, so don't feel ashamed about it. Your doctor is there to help. I believe that with the right help and support, you can become fully recovered.