PDA

View Full Version : Please give me some advice

RoseEve
07-01-14, 17:00
I'm in a really bad place lately. I don't know what to do anymore. The anxiety is crippling me. My left thigh has been twitching and vibrating almost constantly for over a week now. I'm so afraid it will never stop. I can't think about anything else. I didn't even go to work today. Has anyone else experienced this? I just want to know if it's normal. I go to the doctor so much I can't face her again plus it's expensive for me. I'm afraid they will make me do sll these tests that will make my anxiety worse. Please respond guys I'm feeling very lost and afraid.

Fishmanpa
07-01-14, 17:08
RoseEve,

I responded earlier to someone privately and I kind of went off a bit about a rather trivial niggle in my opinion. :blush:

Rather than do that, I will just say it's just a twitch and eventually it will go away. The more you dwell on it, the longer it will stay around.

Get up, go to work, take your mind off of it and it's very likely it will stop.

Positive thoughts

Althea
07-01-14, 17:10
RoseEve, are you getting any treatment for your anxiety? I think that's the place to start if you're not. You can try the online courses recommended here, or see if your employer has an Employee Assistance Plan, so it's not just dependent on getting a referral from your doctor. Additionally, there are a lot of counselors you can go to directly, some of them with sliding pay scales so that you can afford them even if you don't have much income.

And you know when the doctor recommends a test you can say no, right? Sometimes they're recommending it because they think you want it and it's not harmful--if you say "I don't think it's worth doing now--let's wait and see if the problem goes away on its own first" they're generally pretty okay with that if it's not immediately serious.

TooMuchToLiveFor
07-01-14, 17:14
RoseEve-
One of the symptoms that my raised adrenaline levels (anxiety) give me is the feeling of electric currents vibrating in my arms and thighs. It can be quite strong at times. It is simply the result of excess adrenaline- which can be interpreted as energy- running through your body.

If you treat your anxiety your sympathetic nervous system will calm down- although it may take some time. When it calms down it will quit releasing the excess adrenaline. Then the symptoms will lesson and then go away. However, the more you fixate on the symptoms, the more nervous you become. The more nervous you become, the more your adrenaline will keep pumping and fueling the symptoms.

I would like to suggest to read "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weeks.

:flowers:

RoseEve
07-01-14, 17:15
Thank you for responding so quickly. Fishmanpa I want to know what you think. That is to say what would someone without anxiety think about a twitching leg. Would you just say that's annoying but it will stop no big deal? Athena I was in therapy for over a year but she did nothing for my anxiety. I was taking zoloft and stopped because I didn't like the way it made me feel.

rebeccad
07-01-14, 17:32
Hey big hugs belong sent , as you know I suffer the same and have done for a while , it was twitching that actually created my health anxiety , when my thigh twitched I've been known to sit there and study it for what seems like hours , I know that's crazy and when I ask my husband to look he tells me to get over it everybody has twitches from time to time just get on with it , which I know is easier said than done . Go to work honestly when you are there your mind will be not on your twitch and the movement will probably help it to go by exercising the muscles and using up some of that adrenaline going around xx

Althea
07-01-14, 17:37
Sounds like you had a bad fit with therapy. I hope you consider looking into it again, though; you said "the anxiety is crippling me," which is a bad place to be, and your best shot at feeling better is doing something for it.

The online CBT courses aren't going to prescribe you zoloft or anything else--why not give those a try?

Fishmanpa
07-01-14, 17:45
Fishmanpa I want to know what you think. That is to say what would someone without anxiety think about a twitching leg. Would you just say that's annoying but it will stop no big deal?

As one who doesn't suffer from anxiety, little niggles (and in my case BIG niggles) don't warrant nary a thought.

I had a twitch in my thumb muscle for two weeks. It was PITA! but it eventually stopped. My fiance' has been stressed at her job recently and her eyelid has been twitching... no biggie. It stops on her days off ;) So if I had a muscle twitch in my leg for a week or so, I'd be annoyed but wouldn't be concerned at all.

Positive thoughts

RoseEve
07-01-14, 18:05
Thank you for the feedback. I am going to look at the online CBT. Maybe it will give me something to do besides obsess about my twitching, or whatever else on my body I fixate on. I appreciate the support xoxo

Fishmanpa
07-01-14, 18:13
Thank you for the feedback. I am going to look at the online CBT. Maybe it will give me something to do besides obsess about my twitching, or whatever else on my body I fixate on. I appreciate the support xoxo

Here's the link:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131665

I have thoroughly studied this and use it to help me with some issues I'm dealing with. It's quite good. Knowing why your body reacts the way it does to stresses and stimuli helps you control it. It's work but if you truly want to get in the road to healing it's worth every effort.

Positive thoughts