PDA

View Full Version : Dvt in leg, and advice appreciated

missworry
07-01-14, 20:42
Hi i`m in my 40`s and have suffered with anxiety for many years, my blip at the moment is DVT fear, i banged my leg about 2 mths ago and was badly bruised, straight away i convinced myself this would cause a dvt. I then started with hip pain and now i have a pain in my calf it comes and goes so the sensible side of me is saying not dvt as i have read they are that painfull that you can`t stand on your leg, i`m constantly measuring the calf to check one isn't swollen it`s just draining the worry and takes over my life, any of your experiences would be appreciated as i always feel very alone when going thru this, take care xxx

Glitterbug73
08-01-14, 01:17
I have been there! Years ago when I took The Pill I read that was a possible complication of them, so of course I would start to worry. I have worried on occasion over the intervening years, and it always helped me to (go against the rules) and see a photo of a DVT in the leg and see that the leg generally gets very swollen and red and hot -- in other words it is not subtle. I know of someone who thought they had one due to the pain in their leg after a long flight, and went to the hospital. She did not have one, it was something else entirely (not a big deal, whatever it was). So yes I think the pain would be severe and I also think that any swelling would be quite evident, nothing you would have to measure to determine, you know?

Regardless, I know how it feels to worry and fret, and I do hope you feel better soon. :-)

Pet59
08-01-14, 03:20
Hi Missworry,

I have HAD DVT before, when I was 24, a combination of the pill and getting on a flight after a night out and dehydration!! My calf wasnt sore, but I had a tingling in my calf. It wasnt red or swollen either. It was when my foot went freezing cold that I suddenly started thinking "oh oh something isnt right here!!" I went to the hospital, they did a d-diamer test which measures the rate at which your blood clots and mine was 6 times what it should have been. They did a venogram which lets them look at your veins and it came out "strongly positive".

I still have huge fears about DVT and flying (see post a few days ago that no one replied to :weep:) but now I can say that my leg is fine! It was the anxiety rearing its ugly head!! Please try not to worry. If it happened 2 months ago, then I am convinced there is nothing wrong and something would have happened by now if it were going to happen.

Hope this has helped in some way! Take care x

missworry
09-01-14, 16:24
Thanks for your replies it does help to know people have the same worries and care enough to reply, i`m pretty much the same trying to not let it take over but it does make me feel so don`t as i`m constantly feeling my calfs and measuring them, i know it`s not rational fed up really :weep:xxx