PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my esophagus.

Rls1994
08-01-14, 00:00
Hello,

Today I had an endoscopy and they said I have a weak esophagus (I'm only 19..). Basically, the valve at the bottom of my esophagus is allowing food, drink and acid to back up into my throat.

I'm scared that I will develop esophageal cancer because of this.

The nurse told me nothing is sinister or worrying. Also, they mentioned nothing about any inflammation. Thing is, surely it's going to ruin my esophagus eventually?? What can I do to prevent this from happening? My father has a weak esophagus too and he takes Omeprazole which works wonders for him, but don't work for me.. :( Why can't I find any relief? I'm worried that I'm gunna die from stomach cancer somewhere down the line. Help please!

Fishmanpa
08-01-14, 00:37
Omeprazole is an acid reducer. There are several on the market and many are OTC. I take a generic form of Zantac 150 twice a day and it works for me. Ask your doctor and find something that works.

To keep things in check, you're going to have to watch what you eat and avoid things that give you indigestion. If you're going to Google, look up foods to avoid with an acid stomach. Pretty much common sense stuff. Fried foods, alcohol, certain fruits (oranges, grapefruit etc.)....

You'll be fine ;)

Positive thoughts

Glitterbug73
08-01-14, 01:55
I have reflux and in addition to taking an acid reducer, I find I feel much better and my reflux virtually disappears if I eliminate wheat from my diet.

Typer
08-01-14, 09:44
Like the others are saying, perhaps diet is the key for you - try eating alkaline so as to keep your stomach free from too much acid.

Not sure if this will reassure you - but you'd be surprised how many people have your condition. Some say its our diets. The best thing to do is keep a food diary and note what upsets your stomach and what makes it feel good and then eat accordingly.

You could see a nutritionist if you can afford it and find out what foods will line your stomach and foods that heal or strengthen.