PDA

View Full Version : Prescribed propanolol but scared to take it!

crystal17
08-01-14, 18:36
Hi,

Haven't been on here for ages, hope everyone is doing ok. I have been prescribed 40mg of Propanolol mostly for my frequent migraines but also for anxiety. I read the leaflet and it said to consult your doctor first if you have an electrical heart conduction problem or heart rhythm problems - while Ive never been diagnosed with that, I do have heart palpitations so am worried that I shouldn't take them.

I've only been at my current surgery for a few months so not discussed the palpitations with my doctor, so he might not have been aware of that when he prescribed them!

Can anyone offer any advice as I won't be taking them until I feel they are safe, I'm worried sick what they'll do to me and make me feel out of control, although the alternative is the misery of these horrific migraines :mad:

willous1
08-01-14, 19:36
I worry about taking these but my doctor has assured me they are fine. However maybe ask your doctor for an appointment even over the phone so that the doctor can put your mind at ease. You probably realise palpitations are a normal anxiety issue and the reason most people are put on these in first place. Hope you get some peace of mind as sure these will help you.

crystal17
08-01-14, 21:10
Thanks willous, much appreciated that you took the time to reply :hugs:

Yeah I feel pretty sure that my palps are from anxiety but there is always this nagging feeling in my mind that I have some undiagnosed heart condition and that the beta blockers are going to 'unleash' it or something! Also they slow the heart down don't they...and my heart rate isnt that fast so I'm worried about feeling it go really slow. Anyway will try for that phone app tomorrow.
Thanks again

T101
09-02-14, 00:01
hi crystal - i was on this for 2 years. Nothing to worry about. Its a beta blocker given for palpatations and racing heart (in my case for anxiety and panic attacks). It will not slow your heart down below normal levels as you stated was a worry...all it will do is stop it racing/thumping during panic attacks. Its a bit like you see on vans these days that can not drive faster than 60mph due to some gadget or other being fitted...propranolol does the same thing, just puts a limit on how fast your heart can go. hope that helps.