PDA

View Full Version : Weight/eating

clare_201086
10-01-14, 08:55
hi does any1 suffer with weight loss and trouble eating when anxious, im loosing weight at a rapid pace but the thought of food send me in a spin because i vomit with anxiety, i am so scared and shakey, any1 get like this?x

hanshan
10-01-14, 09:35
Hi Clare,

You may want to try one of the antidepressants that have weight gain as a side effect, such as mirtazapine. They will also help to calm your anxiety.

Good luck!

Annie0904
10-01-14, 09:37
I was the same when my anxiety was high. Try to eat little and often. I used to be able to just nibble at rich tea biscuits some days. Mashed bananas in milk, trifles, smoothies. Eat little and often. Boiled eggs were another thing I could manage to eat.

Alan Mack
10-01-14, 10:08
Hi Clare I know how you are feeling, I was eighteen when I started having severe panic attacks on almost a daily basis and from eighteen till I was about twenty two I suffered terrible weight loss, I even had a picture taken of me back then and I looked skeletal, if someone seen the picture they would say I suffered from anorexia rather then panic disorder,

when I was feeling anxious or had a panic attack the last thing I wanted to do was put food in my mouth it even got to the point were if I was calm and was invited to dinner buy family I would start to panic because all I thought about was being sick if I started to eat,

over the years I learned to cope with it, as horrible as it is it's just a natural feeling not wanting to eat when you are feeling anxious or having a panic attack because it's the bodies way of preparing for the Fight or Flight,
thankfully I am at a healthy weight now (plus a few extra pounds :whistles:)
the advice I can give you is to try and eat little bits of food at a time like nibbling a small biscuit or a sandwich, just small enough to pass down your throat without having that gag feeling, then once you feel calmer eat normally.

clare_201086
10-01-14, 10:23
That is just like me some people would say I look anorexic but I am not I love food just not when I feel like this, thanks so much for replyin

flossie
10-01-14, 10:38
I have had this problem as well. As already mentioned, just graze. It doesn't matter what you nibble at the moment as long as you get something inside you. Hunger will play havoc with your anxiety so eating will help to keep your blood sugar levels steadier and work to avoiding those awful lows that make you feel so ill.
Easy to get down foods like potato or custard are great. If you don't mind instant mash or tinned rice pud/custard have a few packs in the cupboard. By the time you have waited for something to cook your anxiety can rise so it is good to have something you can open and nibble.
Try a teaspoon of sugar if you feel queasy, heard that tip from a GP on the radio.

clare_201086
10-01-14, 10:39
thanks for all your replies it is a wonderful sight this! i have had a yoghurt and fruit pot so far x

flossie
10-01-14, 10:50
Just remembered - another thing I used to nibble on was baby rusks. Sweet and easily digested.
Have you talked to your GP about the problem you are having with eating at the moment?

clare_201086
10-01-14, 10:55
No but I will mention on Monday I will tell them

Alan Mack
10-01-14, 10:57
That is just like me some people would say I look anorexic but I am not I love food just not when I feel like this, thanks so much for replyin
No problem :bighug1:
It does get better trust me , one day it will be a distant memory and you'll be eating all your favourite foods without worrying, my problem now is I have eaten to much of my favourite foods now need a diet lol

Walkers
12-01-14, 00:43
I'm going through this right now. Have lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks. Ginger sliced into tea has really helped me to settle nausea. Can't brush my teeth or take antacids because of how unsettled my stomach is...

I just wait to feel a little less nausea and then eat as much as possible as quickly as possible to keep up strength

hanshan
13-01-14, 06:48
Hi Clare,

When I was in my teens and twenties, my natural build was of the beanpole variety. Added to this, anxiety (which I frequently experienced) took away my appetite. I just wasn't hungry. This was not anorexia nervosa - I really wanted to put on weight.

Anyway, I survived, and after turning forty put on weight just like everyone else. Sometimes I wish I could go back to those earlier days, but every age has its challenges.