PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack nightmare.

woody1998
10-01-14, 12:23
Over the last few months I have been suffering panic attacks, had quite a few small ones and four really severe ones, just looking for anyone who can give me advice.
I went to see therapist on Monday and waiting to start CBT, 4-6 weeks and I'm petrified off waiting, they diagnosed me with PTSD and a panic disorder. Felt relief when I came home because I thought to myself 'I'm dealing with it'. But on Tuesday had another severe one, my husband went to the bank machine and I was waiting in the car, less than 3 foot away, I had this overwhelming sense of fear, I thought I was going to die.
My head felt like someone had a belt wrapped around it and was pulling it tight, my eyes felt like I had a migraine coming, I was breathless, my heart was racing, a pain in my chest and my legs were trembling. As we drove home everything around me felt like it was 100mph and I was sitting there petrified, Got in the house and my husband give me half of a Buspirone tablet, which the doctor told him to do and within half hour it had stopped.
Now I feel scared and shaky, emotional and can't see this nightmare coming to an end, just in fear of it happening again.
therapist told me to do breathing exercises, would if I could concentrate:lac:. Feel like a prisoner and really don't know what to do.

Annie0904
10-01-14, 12:25
I would recommend the online cbt course while you are waiting for your cbt sessions. http://ct-online-info.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fct-online-info.com%2F&reauth=1

BenCaraccio
10-01-14, 12:43
Call your Doctor and book an appointment. It may be worth you looking into medication, even if it be on a temporary basis.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Alan Mack
10-01-14, 16:52
I see you got help from your doctor early on with your panic attacks this is a good thing as you can nip them in the bud before they start to become worse, it took a long time for my GP at the time to give me help,
I've learned many calming techniques over the years from my therapists ranging from mediation to breathing techniques, the one I really like to use is the distraction technique it involves using very mild pain such as holding a set of keys tight in your hand so the keys dig into your palm or the other distraction I like is counting things, it can be anything from counting cars or houses anything to focus your mind so it can come out of that panic cycle, it's really just finding a calming technique that works for you,

there is one golden rule to remember about panic attacks and that is no matter how strong they are a panic attack will never harm or kill you even if they feel that way in fact it's quite the opposite as a panic attack is the bodies way of preparing for survival getting ready to Fight or Flight,

I think of panic attacks as a over sensitive car alarm when the wind blows past or a leaf falls on the bonnet it goes off but really there is no danger, I know the feeling all to well of how horrible it can be feeling there is no end to the nightmare but there is it just takes time, I can offer you some comfort in that you are not alone and that a lot of people do care people like me as I know what you are going through.

:bighug1: