PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

jayjoe18
10-01-14, 14:35
I'll try to keep this short, basically I'm housebound due to (mainly) social anxiety which has been ongoing for about 7 years now, I have no social life, job etc but I have started my first ever SSRI (in November) and next Monday I will have been on it for 10 weeks at 5mg.

The 5mg has definitely had some positive effects as I've been able to go out shopping and even visit family for the first time in a long time (both of which have been near impossible in the past) so there's no doubt it's working, yay!

However I still get the same anxiety when I think about doing things like getting a job, going back to college, thinking about Uni, going on holidays, driving, making friends, having a relationship, eating out, just general normality! I just can't see how I'm going to be able to do those things, it just seems impossible. And I'm still struggling with things like confidence, conversations, going out on my own.

But it's difficult as I know the medication is helping, I just don't know how much more I'll get out of the 5mg after 10 weeks or is this not enough time? I wonder if maybe I should increase the dose up to 10mg?

I asked my GP but she wants to keep me at 5mg and go very slowly although I know this is because it's taken a long time to get the courage to start medication and she doesn't want anything to put me off. She's being very cautious with me. I don't believe I will be put off now though as I can see the benefits. I asked her about it on Tuesday and she said to stay on 5mg and return and see her again in 2 months, that will be March!

I just really want to get better as quickly as possible, I know it's not a quick fix or anything and I am going back into therapy but I don't want to waste anymore time at one dose when a higher dose might give me more improvements.

I hope that all makes sense? I'm new to medication and don't know what to do? I'm on Escitalopram/Lexapro/Cipralex if that helps!

Rennie1989
10-01-14, 14:49
Well done on what you have achieved. Let that be your motivation when things get tough.

I do want to say that recovery takes time. It's great that you want to lead a normal life of higher education, employment and making friends but don't feel disheartened because you can't do those things yet. There's no benefit in rushing, take it day by day, cross every bridge once you get there and see how it goes. Set yourself a manageable target and once you've achieved it move on to the next one.

Edie
10-01-14, 19:36
However I still get the same anxiety when I think about doing things like getting a job, going back to college, thinking about Uni, going on holidays, driving, making friends, having a relationship, eating out, just general normality! I just can't see how I'm going to be able to do those things, it just seems impossible. And I'm still struggling with things like confidence, conversations, going out on my own.
You're thinking about much too much at once :bighug1:

It took a long time for you to get this bad, it will take a while to get back to normality. Try to focus on the positives, you are making progress, and starting therapy. The therapy is the big one that will make the difference. Medication can lift symptoms, but therapy is the thing that teaches you the coping skills you really need.

Baby steps for now - but things sound really positive for you!