PDA

View Full Version : is it safe?

hangingbasket
10-01-14, 16:51
For anyone who has read my posts, you'll know I've been moaning about rib pain for months. Well today i wore a shirt with a high belt and it was tight around my ribs. I've noticed that I've not felt any pain since having my ribs supported by the belt.
Is it safe to do this everyday? Put something around my ribs for support? I know doctors don't recommend it anymore.
Also, would this suggest a musculoskeletal pain? Something more serious wouldn't be eased by a belt surely?

Fishmanpa
10-01-14, 17:07
Of course no one here is a medical professional but if it helps then why not? Maybe an ace bandage wrapped around your chest/ribs would be more comfortable. There are millions of people that wear a wrist support, knee or elbow supports etc. I have a belt I wore when I was doing squats in the gym. Makes sense if it's helping don't you think?

Positive thoughts

Rennie1989
10-01-14, 17:10
As long as it's not too tight then there should not be a problem. I often wear a brace for my back, tight enough to support it but not enough to suffocate me.

If you've had pain in your rib for a while then maybe you should see a doctor. It does sound musculoskeletal but I'm not a doctor.

hangingbasket
10-01-14, 18:32
I have seen a doctor. She felt around and said it seems muscular.

Althea
10-01-14, 19:35
Nothing like a little Marathon Man flashback to enliven the day!

You're talking about a decorative belt at a level of tightness that people regularly wear, right?. I think that's different than the risk with a compressive splint for a broken rib (which I think is what you're referring to)--if it were a similar problem and people were being regularly felled by their T K Maxx belts, there'd be a pretty loud warning about it.
If you think you're tightening it so tightly that it changes your breathing, though, I'd say it's best avoided.

I can't remember--have you been to a physio? If it is muscle, that's a good place to look; often the problem is actually weakness elsewhere and a poor little muscle complaining about having to do somebody else's work! (I know how it feels sometimes :).)

hangingbasket
10-01-14, 20:39
That made me smile! Yes.. today I wore a decorative belt and just happened to notice it eased the aching. Maybe that is just coincidence.. I'm not sure. But I was planning on getting something a bit more medical (I'm not sure what, a bandage or something) and trying it tomorrow.
I dont plan on suffocating myself, or having it too tight to alter my breathing, just tight enough to feel a bit of support from it. That should be safe right? I've read that it can put you at higher risk of infection but is that just if you have something so tight that you cant take a deep enough breath?

No I havent been for physio. To be honest, I've never even thought about it and it is well worth looking into!! I've been getting back into my progressive muscle relaxation which hopefully will start to make a difference soon.
I've been contemplating getting a massage.. I've never had one before. I'm a bit apprehensive about it. Maybe slightly embarassed?! I'm not sure. I love the idea but I dont really know what to expect.

Althea
10-01-14, 21:15
Massage has kept me going for years now. I totally understand the uncertainty, and it definitely helps to find the right person, but wow, it's been helpful for me. Like sex, I'd say it's okay if it's awkward the first time and it's still worth doing :). I definitely think you should give it a try--maybe ask around and see if there's a place or massage therapist in your area that people recommend?

I don't know how the industry works in the UK, but I suspect there are some similarities--you can say if you only want a massage therapist of the same sex, you can keep your underpants on if you want, you can ask them to work toward or stay away from any area you want; if you have strong feeling about scents or lotions, they'll oblige you. Here there's a bit of a spectrum between more relaxation/spa-type massage places and more sports/therapeutic; I prefer the latter, but they're not necessarily better or worse at massage.

I think a lot of people with HA would find massage really soothing; it's both a relaxation and an outside view of what your body's doing. My massage therapist knows my body a zillion times better than my doctor.