PDA

View Full Version : CBT (sorry if this already been answered) HELP!

happyone
15-11-06, 20:38
Hi
I know this will sound rambling and I might have already posted something similar but my brain is mincemeat just now.
I am having 1-1 CBT. I have had 4 sessions but I don't know what I am getting out of them as I am fearing everything so much.
I fear the issues raised so far will be left to race around my head with no way of coping with them.
I fear that the sessions will come to an end before I have found the way forward as I don't know how long they are to last. I can't ask as one of my fears is to seem needy.
I fear 'failing' so when I can't manage my 'homework', I worry about what she thinks, I worry about her thiking I am wasting her time.
I always leave and am depressed for a couple of days and when I told her that, she said nothing so I don't know if it is normal or not.
My thoughts are so complex and varied that I seem to bring up another fear and anxiety every time I am there. This week it is my fear of hurting my children but next week that might seem insignificant compared to another fear. But if we concentrate on one area, will my other fears be addressed or will I have to address them myself without help?
I am so confused as I have so many fears and anxieties, getting to the root of them is the problem. I almost wish I had said I wouldn't start this CBT but I so want it to work or help. I feel worse now than when I started treatment for anxiety depression.
I even took meds to help me do it and (unsurprisingly!) one of my major fears is taking medication.
I have read many previous posts on CBT but they don't seem to apply to me just now (I am a tad pre-occupied with myself at the mo!)
So, what is it I am asking? Is there a general format of CBT? Does anyone relate to what I am saying? Does anyone have any reassurance for me? If it doesn't work am I up the creek without a paddle?
My head feels so full to bursting I just want to run away to somewhere quiet and no one knows me.
Maybe I should have posted this on another forum, but it is so hard to know which one.
Sorry for rambling.
Happyone:(

michelle-lee
15-11-06, 21:52
what you are feeling i have also been feeling and the cbt is always put at the pace that you are comfortable with. so dont worry or try not to.
`My head feels so full to bursting I just want to run away to somewhere quiet and no one knows me.` - i also at times feels like this and i go and talk about my problems. do what i always tell myself - take it one day at a time and if that is too much take it one hour at a time.

m.snyman

spuds
17-11-06, 19:27
There are lots of ways to get over your anxiety - CBT is just one of them. If it doesn't work, you haven't failed - give it a good go, but if it doesn't help, try something else. I have found doing CBT written exercises helpful (though I have not had CBT with a therapist), but I think I found the Claire Weekes books just as helpful to me.

happyone
18-11-06, 16:22
thanx for replying. I think I began to get anxious about CBT, another one to add to my list!
Anyways, this is a far more positive week for me and I don't seem to be fearing so much. This week I have been able to do my 'homework' but more importantly, I have been able to look at CBT as something that is designed to help.
If it doesn't I shall have to try again at something else. Incidentally, has anyone ever had CBT and counselling at the same time? Or does that work in two different ways? I could get counselling which I would feel could be helpful to discuss the issues that are highlighted in CBT but CBT is supposed to be more on dealing with now and the future isn't it, rather than the past? Or maybe I should ditch the CBT until I am feeling stronger and just go with the counselling for now?
Rambling again, I know!
happyone

Mranxious
27-11-06, 19:48
I use CBT and understand some of your concerns. Your therapist isn't really there to say if you are right or wrong about your worry or anxiety, but to point out the positive aspects of your worry or how to manage and control your reaction to the stimulus. How to distract yourself from the problem or delay your automatic responses to things.

In my case I suffer from health anxiety. I could ask my CBT therapist whether or not I should see a DR about something, but it isn't her place or part of the CBT programme to say yes or no. If she did that, she would be taking the responsibility from me and I might start relieing on her as I might a DR when in fact I should be self soothing. My CBT might ask me whether I think I need to see the DR, have I had these feelings before, do I truly believe my fears, will it help in the long run and hopefully steer me round into making the correct decision myself - even if there is a niggle of doubt deep down!!

Stick with it, try excercise, relaxation, improved diet, reduced coffee/tea, EFT everything and it will get better

bb01234
08-01-07, 00:51
happyone

May I ask a question, where did you learn fear?

And, holding that thought in your mind, what does fear do FOR you?

regards

Brian