PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Happy

Fishmanpa
11-01-14, 15:26
I believe that we are have triggers that we can point to for our idiosyncrasies, phobias and metal issues (and I want to say that everyone has something they deal with...just some more than others). I have a phobia of bees and wasps. I know where it came from having stepped in a hornets nest at 7yo. I don't suffer from anxiety but have had a couple of panic attacks in my life. Those triggers were illness related (heart and cancer).

When it comes down to actually suffering from anxiety and HA, I've learned that the trigger, or several triggers, often times combined with an actual chemical imbalance in the brain causes normal worry and anxiety to escalate beyond what would be considered normal. The same goes for depression, PTSD and the like. That's why sometimes meds work wonders for severely afflicted individuals. Others can manage and control the dragon with therapy and CBT. One on one therapy can help to discover the triggers which may have been suppressed in memory for various reasons. Due to the way that CBT works, it's perfectly suited for anxiety disorders in that it helps rewire that way you think about stress and physical triggers that set it off. I've found it particularly useful for depression as well, as I've been battling and winning a bout after my cancer.

I find it interesting that many, even though they use the word anxiety in their posts and are posting in an anxiety website/forum, still have a hard time accepting they have anxiety. They've been diagnosed with it, take medication for it, seek therapy for it yet still cannot accept it when symptoms arise. Perhaps that's the dragon breathing fire and and thus blinding the individual. Or, perhaps they've never learned techniques (CBT) or practice them enough.

Healing, whether it's from an actual physical illness or a mental one takes work as well as maintenance. Even for me, there are things I must do for the rest of my life in order to keep the side effects of those illnesses to a minimum. If I don't I will suffer. The same goes for anxiety and HA. There are those here who are healing. They'll be the first to tell you it takes work and also real desire and determination. I believe most can heal although just like a real physical illness, sadly there will be those that never will.

Positive thoughts

LunaLiuna
11-01-14, 15:41
Great post Fishmanpa, I agree with the desire and determination part :) I think a degree of perseverance is needed as well, I've had anxiety for over three years now and I started meditation and yoga almost as soon as I got it, it helped me massively.

Unfortunately though I stopped it in November because i felt better and by December I was in the the worst state I had ever been.

Now to get back on track :)

Rennie1989
11-01-14, 16:30
Very honest and true.

It's very important to accept that you have an anxiety or depressive disorder, even if your friends and loved ones don't. How can anybody recover from something they deny? You've lost before you've started.

As someone who is diagnosed with a severe form of GAD I wish meds worked for me. A type of medication was partly to blame for my breakdown and no medication has worked before or since. But then again it has taught me to look for salvation elsewhere. Practise breathing exercises, distraction techniques, relaxation techniques, hobbies, healthy living etc. The CBT has also helped me to challenged my thought process and to help change them to healthier thoughts.

My focus is on healing, whether I can or not.

Fishmanpa
11-01-14, 16:34
Yes Luna,

Perseverance is key as well. I said this in another post.... Just like weight loss, it takes time. It took time, most likely years to get to where you are now. You can't expect to get back to where you were in a few weeks or months. It's a life style change just like fitness and health and going to the gym but it's mental exercise that must become part of your lifestyle. Sometimes medication is part of the plan. I know for me and my physical issues, I have to take medication for the rest of my life. That combined with certain lifestyle changes enable me to make the most of it.

Positive thoughts

MRS STRESS ED
11-01-14, 16:46
Excellent post and so true we need to except it, I learned to cope with the symptoms I have finally excepted its anxiety ,its not very nice but there are people god bless them in far worse places than me

TooMuchToLiveFor
11-01-14, 17:16
Happy Saturday, FMP!
Great post! I always get excited when I see you have started a new thread. :)

Keep them coming! We need to help each other in shrinking our dragons!

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

In your opinions, my friends- is it still "accepting" if I choose to accept I have anxiety, and accept how it is I need to go about recovering....., but I refuse to accept that I have to learn to live like this forever?

Fighting with acceptance as my sword is how to win this battle, but I do intend to fight with all I have.....and I do intend to win.

Just curious what my fellow warriors think of this view......

Rennie1989
11-01-14, 17:31
I've come to the conclusion that I will live like this forever, because the trauma I went through as a teenage went on for too long and caused me secondary problems, not to mention the abandonment I experienced. I know that I can get better, but not to the point where I'm cured. I'm still 'accepting' my diagnosis and the effects, I cannot deny that I have anxiety and depression, I just deny the idea that it will go away forever.

Tanner40
11-01-14, 19:04
Excellent post. I certainly accept the fact that I have anxiety and that me symptoms arise from my anxiety. I accept that an anxiety disorder will always be a part of who I am. I also accept my power and my ability to change the way I think, and thus change the way I feel. I may always have an anxiety disorder, and that I accept, but I also accept that it does not have to be an integral part of my daily life. The recovery process and the tools that inutilize must be a daily part of my everyday life. The anxiety itself, does not.

TooMuchToLiveFor
11-01-14, 20:00
Ahhh....Tanner, very well said. That makes a lot of sense to me! That helps me with clarity about my battle plan for moving forward.

Rennie- thank you for your reply as well. I have been thinking about you, and hope you are feeling better overall. :hugs:

Fishmanpa
11-01-14, 20:50
Happy Saturday, FMP!
Great post! I always get excited when I see you have started a new thread. :)

Keep them coming! We need to help each other in shrinking our dragons!

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

In your opinions, my friends- is it still "accepting" if I choose to accept I have anxiety, and accept how it is I need to go about recovering....., but I refuse to accept that I have to learn to live like this forever?

Fighting with acceptance as my sword is how to win this battle, but I do intend to fight with all I have.....and I do intend to win.

Just curious what my fellow warriors think of this view......

As this has been brought up in replies, I thought I'd post a previous thread about Cured vs. Healed (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=146149&highlight=cured+healed). It's worth a read a relevant to this subject.

Positive thoughts

TooMuchToLiveFor
11-01-14, 21:49
Thanks, FMP! I read it- and bumped it as I know many more besides me may not have seen it- and it is a great look at this journey.

countrygirl
12-01-14, 14:20
I understand exactly why I have this anxiety re health symptoms - due to severe trauma as a young child with illness and death. I have yet to find any therapy that is stronger than the effect of the initial trauma but am always willing to try anything!! I have found getting older and realising you have wasted a huge amount of your life worrying tends to put things into perspective although I have quite a few chronic illness and disabilities that mean I have severe symptoms daily which does not help!

I have also found that there is no sympathy or understanding from anyone who does not suffer from health anxiety and often ridicule which means I keep very quiet about mine other than on here. I am on another totally unrelated forum and someone started a thread about hypochondriacs and what people thought - wow was that an eye opener. Only one person other than me admitted to having health anxiety and the vitriol towards us was frightening. Needless to say neither of us ever mentioned it again.

Tessar
12-01-14, 17:37
I totally agree. I learned CBT techniques in therapy 10 years ago. I use them every day & without them would not keep my head above water. It helped me learn so much about myself but also just how much more I can do in life and cope with too. Of course life sometimes deals me bad things but I am so much better able to cope with those. Also so much more grateful for the good things I experience too.