PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very strange today

BeckyBop
12-01-14, 13:32
Hi all :)
I have been trying to get a hold on my anxiety and I continue to do so but today Im feeling very strange. As usual Im struggling with my breathing and today it feels like i cant take a proper breath and of course anxiety is going going to stop breathing! etc but I also have pain in my stomach and upper legs and my hands and feet are very cold. I also feel extremely disorinetated and detached makes me feel so strange almost like im not really functional in real life. This combined with the constant breathlessness is making me feel very much like something is wrong with me! My head also feels very weird like my mind just feels very jumbled and I keep having anxious thoughts like what if im going mad? what if somethings wrong with me? I am of course trying to keep with my positive thoughts I just wondered if anyone else has experienced feeling like they are extremely strange and how they deal with it?
Thanks Becky :)

ballerina
12-01-14, 13:43
I'm feeling like that today actually :( I'm pretty crap at giving advice but is there anyway to distract yourself? I'm going to work later and I when it's really busy I don't notice my symptoms nearly as much. I have breathing problems with anxiety and it's the scariest thing, but I think if I did have something wrong with my respiratory system I'd have gone blue in the face and passed out by now. Stay positive x

BeckyBop
12-01-14, 13:45
thanks ballerina :) I am a ballerina hehe! Yeah im looking forward to Sherlock later that will be a good distraction :) yes I try to remember if it was a lung problem I would likely be constantly coughing and such but as I am not I am likely fine :) I just hate feeling detached! Feels like im going mad and then I think what if im dying!? Grrr health anxiety x

countrygirl
12-01-14, 14:08
Your describing perfectly the effect of hyperventilation. In other words over breathing. Can you count how many breaths you are taking in a minute. If its over 12-14 a minute then you are overbreathing and the excess oxygen in your blood can give you all the symptoms you are experiencing.
Just a thought but you may already know this anyway:)

BeckyBop
12-01-14, 14:11
Thanks countrygirl! I have hyperventilated before but was not aware it can occur when anxious as it has only really effected me before in a panic attack! I try to practice deep breathing where possible aswell! x

Tanner40
12-01-14, 14:14
Becky, you will not stop breathing. It is only anxiety and anxiety can't hurt you. Why not put it to the test. Jog in place for five minutes at a briskmpace and see what happens. Prove to yourself that you will not stop breathing.

BeckyBop
12-01-14, 14:17
Thanks Tanner :) Thats what I keep telling myself if I am distracted I am fine so it is simply anxiety! I like to sing at the top of voice just to prove it to myself! x

Andrash
12-01-14, 15:46
Try breathing through pursed lips. It relaxes your whole body and is a good remedy against anxiety attacks.

Here how it's done:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/chronic_obstructive_pulmonary_disease_copd/hic_pursed_lip_breathing.aspx