PDA

View Full Version : Blood in stools - petrified of colonoscopy

lele19
12-01-14, 14:38
Hi all, (I'm a 23 yr old female)

For the last 8 weeks I have had blood either on wiping or on top of my stools. The last 10 days I have found blood and mucus on 80% of my bowel movements. (99% fresh bright red, 1 time a bit darker). The first GP I saw said it wasn't anything simple such as hemorrhoids when she did a digital rectal exam and so referred me to a colorectal consultant. I then went to another GP for a second opinion and he performed a proctoscopy (10cm long tube/camera in the rectum) - which caned... and told me I had classic hemorrhoids which were 'juicy and engorged'. The only other symptoms I have noticed are a very brief feeling of lower back pain (once every 2/3 weeks ish - no idea if that's related), sometimes I get trapped gas (always have due to anx), if I don't drink enough my stools are more like rabbit pellets, but when I drink 2 litres per day they are once again crescent shaped. They are not black or pale.

My appointment with the colorectal consultant which I have decided to keep is this Tuesday evening. I am absolutely terrified that he will tell me I need a colonoscopy or a flexible sigmoidoscopy as I do not feel able to undergo either of these procedures due to my severe anxiety surrounding painful medical procedures. I am also terrified he will perform a rigid sigmoidoscopy on me there and then in the clinic (which I have been warned he will want to do by my GP). I feel completely trapped as I need to know what is causing the blood and don't feel that I can be sure unless I have an examination of my entire bowel - but I really cannot have these tests. Since the blood started I have become extremely upset and depressed, I have missed work, I have sat alone in my room crying for about 3 weeks on and off, terrified of having these tests and terrified of what they may show.

I have been looking into privately having a virtual colonoscopy, but companies have refused me due to the fact that I am under 45 years of age - and obviously if a polyp or something suspicious were to show I would just have to go through a regular colonoscopy anyway.

Please help me :( any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel so trapped and so so scared and extremely down.:weep:

Annie0904
12-01-14, 14:47
It sounds very much to me that it is haemorrhoids or a fissure and that is what the consultant will tell you on examination. I have had all the procedures you mentioned and did not find them painful, however I doubt you will need them.

Select
12-01-14, 15:08
Hi I can understand your fear it is not a pleasant experience but I work in theatre and I know that you can have these procedures under a general anaesthetic although it is not really recommended but if you are anxious and not relaxed when awake it will cause these muscle to tighten up and cause you pain they can give you something to relax you but if you feel this will not help then talk to the consultant explain how you feel and ask him to consider a general if you think it might suit you better. One thing you are not alone there are many people who can not have these whilst awake and your consultant will understand and dealt with many people with your problem before so talk to them please.

lele19
12-01-14, 17:24
Annie - Could you please let me know what each procedure felt like?

Select - As you can imagine, due to my anxiety I would also worry about the dangers of a general anaesthetic :weep: - it's a catch 22 situation, I can't win. Have you ever watched people having them done consciously? How do they react?

Annie0904
12-01-14, 17:29
Flexible sigmoidoscopy...I actually watched the screen showing the camera images, it was quite interesting :) It was slightly uncomfortable but not at all painful. I was a nervous wreck about having it done but wouldn't think twice about having it done again...no problem.
Colonoscopy...I was sedated for this and can't remember anything at all about it apart from being given tea and toast after :)

Select
12-01-14, 18:16
I do understand about your anxieties and we have people who come in for all types of procedures who are not unlike you. I have watched people have them done on numerous occasions whilst awake. Every one is different some people breeze through it others are tense and find it uncomfortable. When you have a rigid siggy they use a clear tube about the width of a hose pipe it is about 6 ins long and they very rarely put it all in they use lubrication in all procedures and they shine a light in it and use air to get a view it is usually a very quick procedure and it gives the doctor a idea of what is going on. If you get it done in endoscopy they can give you a light sedative to relax you, it's all so easy for me to say this though. Any thing else you want to know feel free to ask I will try to help.

lele19
12-01-14, 18:23
Thanks for both of your replies :)

Select - 6 inches doesn't sound so bad, online it says rigid siggys are between 25 - 30cm (10inches+) and I was like how on earth does that not class as torture! I think it's just so hard to imagine how it will feel if a long tube goes up inside my intestines, and since when I had the proctoscopy it was very painful (that was only 10cm) that has made my fear even greater.

It's so hard waiting and worrying, I only have to wait another 48 hours before seeing the consultant. I really hope to god that he just does the rigid one and tells me it's hemorrhoids and no further tests are required...in my dreams. :weep:

Select
12-01-14, 18:30
Can I just say it never goes in to your intestines that's only in a flexible siggy or colonoscopy a rigid only looks into your anus. The reason you may find it painful is because of the haemorrhoids. The doctor you are going to see does this every day it's his speciality unlike your gp, he will understand your fears your anxieties. You are not alone in how you feel. Stay strong you can do this

lele19
12-01-14, 21:13
Yeah that's what I meant. That's why I'm dreading both the flexi sig and colonoscopy if necessary, because I can't imagine what entering the bowel feels like, I don't believe it just feels like bad trapped wind, it must be agony - things aren't meant to go up into there.

Annie0904
12-01-14, 22:00
It isn't agony at all...if it was I certainly would not have gone through it. It was slightly uncomfortable but not painful. You can be sedated for a colonoscopy any way.

lele19
14-01-14, 20:36
I saw the consultant, he didn't even examine me. He told me I need a flexible sigmoidoscopy because of the mucus to be sure there's nothing wrong, and that it is a 5 - 10 minute procedure which he does on 13 year olds and that it doesn't hurt. I don't believe him. I have all the prep crap, I can't stop crying, I'm so scared. http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/Smileys/default/cry.gif

He said he will put me as the very first person on the list, give me extra sedation for it and extra pain relief and stop anytime that i say the word if it hurts too much.

Annie0904
14-01-14, 21:32
Mine did not hurt at all, you will be fine. When do you have it?

lele19
14-01-14, 22:01
I really hope that it doesn't hurt at all. The leaflet I got said 'it shouldn't be too painful' and from what I've read online it's been described as 'the worst experience of my life' :(. I've never been more scared in my entire life.

I have to wait for an appointment letter so I don't know yet. I hope to god that it's very soon. I just want it over.

Annie0904
14-01-14, 22:13
It may have been very slightly uncomfortable. The consultant told me everything he was doing and I even watched it on the monitor :) I was very anxious before it and I have a very low pain threshold but I would not be worried at all if I needed it doing again.

lele19
18-01-14, 12:34
Which bit was the most uncomfortable? Was it going into the anus? Going into the bowel inside? The air? Is the air a sharp pain? Does it feel like an injection type pain? I got a voicemail yesterday from the hospital asking me to ring them about having it done on Thursday (23rd) so I have to wait til Monday now to see if that appointment's still available.

lele19
20-01-14, 10:01
So my appointment has now been confirmed for Thursday January 23rd. I start the low fibre diet and the laxatives tomorrow. I really can't wait for this to be over. I hope I find the strength to go through with it.

lele19
10-07-15, 16:34
For anyone reading this I just thought I'd update - I had the flexible sigmoidoscopy, this was clear but I continued to bleed. Next I had the full colonoscopy and I can promise you this is nowhere near as bad as you imagine it to be. I wasn't in any pain and I'm not lying to you. I had the drugs and I felt relaxed but not knocked out, I remember most of it too. x

nomorepanic
10-07-15, 18:08
and what were the results lele?