PDA

View Full Version : Weird reaction to EEG flashing lights

Freaked
13-01-14, 14:14
Had an EEG today cos I passed out due to low blood pressure like 6 months ago (I have a condition). I never had anything 'seizure-like' before really, but the strobe light thing was horrible. Broke out in a flush and started smelling smoke, then had a bad taste in my mouth for like an hour, which is back now. I've gotten all these things before, but never in response to a light and not normally together, and they're all symptoms of seizure aura (which I didn't really know till I looked it up later, certainly about the flushing). My condition has like a 3% seizure rate so now I'm freaked.

So this week, due to eye/head stuff, I've been worried about temporal arteritis, brain aneurysm and now seizure. Now I'm worried about all of them, and that I might be doing my body damage with all this fear. Having a tough time :-(

harasgenster
13-01-14, 14:50
If you felt those things during an EEG then they will have picked up if it was a seizure and they will be able to tell you.

Must say though, I've had episodes of smelling things that aren't there/tasting things that aren't there (particularly solvents) which I've heard is connected with epilepsy but as I have never had a seizure I haven't worried about it. I assume it can also be caused by exhaustion, as I know from experience that all kinds of freaky things can be caused by exhaustion.

You're not doing your body any harm with the fear - nothing permanent or dangerous anyway - but you are making yourself feel ill.

We could all fall ill at any time. It's likely that we all one day will suffer something serious (usually right at the end of our lives, of course). Do you want to spend everyday up until then worrying? Or do you want to enjoy your life?

I don't mean to be harsh or put pressure on you. This is just the way I speak to myself when I feel anxious about something that might never happen and it reminds me to live in the moment and enjoy my life. I'll regret it if I don't.

Writing that just made me feel better....hope it helped you too!

Freaked
13-01-14, 22:21
Thanks for your reply; glad to know other people get the smell hallucinations too. I really would prefer to enjoy life; a lot of the reason I've gone so anxious is I've been housebound with my condition (POTS) for the last year. When something 'new' or extra worrying happens, I have all the time in the world to dwell on it. I'm afraid I'll end up losing my mind on top of my health.

For example now I've woven the theories together, thinking there might be an aneurysm in the left side of my head causing my face tenderness/visible eye blood vessel/vision issues and now seizure aura symptoms. I had a head MRI in May that was clear except for a cyst, and an ophthalmologist looked in the back of my eye the other day and said it was normal.