PDA

View Full Version : I Had Cancer

JamesJ
13-01-14, 23:08
What a year 2013 was! I got released from prison in February after spending 12 months inside (white collar crime). I get out, and have to live at my parents whilst my girlfriend is homeless. We finally get a place together, I get my business started again, everything goes smoothly and then BOOM I get Cancer.

I was diagnosed in July 2013. Don't really talk too much about this, but I am feeling in high panic mode right now so I decided to kick off a conversation.

I was in the shower whilst living at my moms (early June) and I was positive my testicle felt a little hard. I put it down to sleeping on my moms sofa and being forced to lie in awkward positions. Either that or sex.

I left it a week, moved into my new house, and started on my new business. A week later there was no improvement so I booked an appointment with the doctor. 2 weeks after that I was having my testicle removed.

It's odd though, because before I noticed the hard testicle I had noticed 2 symptoms, and I believe I actually made posts here about them. One symptom was no ejaculation. I orgasmed, but nothing came out. I spoke on here about this and I figured it was a side effect of citralopram, as it's a known side effect. The second symptom was a nose bleed during sex. This never happened to me in my life, just this once.

It's odd how those two symptoms occurred and 2 weeks later I was being tested for Cancer.

It was one heck of an experience. Imagine going through Cancer without anxiety. Then imagine going through it as a person who suffers with severer anxiety. Let me tell you it was a nasty experience.

Everything happened so fast for me that I didn't even get time to think about what was happening.

The operation to have the testicle removed was very scarey. I have never had an operation, and at 29 this was my first. It was classed as a "simple" operation. They cut an incision in the groin and pull the testicle out, and stitch you back up. Didn't feel simple to me. They pushed me up to the operating rooms and I was so scared I was shaking. A nurse had to hold my hand whilst they gave me anaesthetic.

The odd thing was, as soon as they pump it into your veins, within 3 seconds I was waking up.

The waking up from the operation was nasty. The pain killers they used gave me the worst PAC's/PVC's I've ever had. I was let home 2 hours after the operation, but the PAC's and PVC's stayed with me for 24 hours after the operation and they were nasty.

So, yeah, I waited 2 weeks to be told I had Stage 1 testicle Cancer. I caught it early. I had a choice of surveillance or 1 dose of Chemo.

I opted for the Chemo, just to be sure that the Cancer was gone.

This was awful though. Sitting in hospital having Chemo pumped into you. I had at least 10 panic attacks within the first 30 minutes. My mom was so worried for me she got a nurse. Apparently I turned white.

The chemo was outpatient. Took about 2 hours, then I was let home. I actually handled the side effects of chemo pretty well actually. I was "under the weather" for about a week. But in all fairness I've had worse hangovers, and worse cases of the flu.

I had a blood test 2 weeks after the chemo which showed a false positive. One of my cancer markers had increased by a tiny amount and I was told I need to wait 3 weeks and give another blood test.

This was an anxious time for me. During those 3 weeks I smashed 2 laptops, numerous cups and plates, and got drunk almost every day to the point of passing out. Horrible. I self harmed. I stood ontop of a multi story car park and contemplated jumping. It was awful.

But, I had the test, and the marker went down, and they put it down to past alcohol abuse that caused the levels to rise.

And now. It's the new year. I had my blood tests a week ago, and they came back fine. So I'm still Cancer free.

I'm not anxiety free though. FAR FROM THAT! I can rarely leave the house. I can't get on any form of transport. I refuse medication because I part believe that it had something to do with the Cancer.

But, I can deal with the anxiety. I have done for years.

And ... that's me. I think I killed my anxiety attack before it even started whilst typing this. YAY! I hope others find something positive in what I've wrote.

:D

Annie0904
13-01-14, 23:18
You have been through an awful lot and shown a lot of courage. It shows that we can find strength from some where when we have no other choice.

JamesJ
13-01-14, 23:50
I'm not sure I'd call it strength. It felt like I was tied to a line, attached to a car, and being dragged down the road. I had no way of knowing whether I'd live or die until the car stopped. That's honestly what it felt like. All I could do was enjoy the painful ride.

ktylizbth
13-01-14, 23:57
Thank goodness they caught it in time.

Were you agoraphobic prior to this whole experience?

JamesJ
14-01-14, 00:52
@ktylizbth Yes. And unfortunately I still am :(

Although, the issue with transport I think came from the Cancer to an extent. That ride on from the hospital after the operation when I had constant PACs/PVCs, plus the ride home from Chemo, has had an effect. I get those same uncomfortable feelings in cars - event the PACs/PVCs will come on hard during journeys. Although I have had it before that, it just seems I get a recall of memory from the two trips from the hospital too now.

I also tend to feel very sick in a car. And if I know I can't tell the driver to stop suddenly (like in a taxi), then I won't even get in the car. I need to be able to escape the car when I want at any point. If I can't do that, it's a no go. Trains, and busses are also hard because of this.

I have a 3 hour train journey in 2 weeks. Oh boy, the fun.

ktylizbth
14-01-14, 06:57
I have similar experiences in the car. It feels so suffocating and confining in a car. Plus not feeling in control. I try to chew gum or play music in the car, it helps somewhat.

JamesJ
14-01-14, 09:38
Music used to help me a lot, but now when I put headphones on, after 5 minutes I will start to think I'm breathing to heavy, and too hard, and people next to me can hear because I can't hear myself breath when I have headphones on. Even though they probably cant hear me, I constantly think about. Which then leads me to think I am actually not breathing properly, so I start to shallow breath without realising then I hyperventilate and before I know it I'm having a panic attack.

It really is that bad for me at the moment.

The only time I seem to feel "normal" is the first few hours after waking up.

Bonnibelle
14-01-14, 22:04
What an awful time for you. You've been very brave.

Wishing you lots of luck for the future xx

Fishmanpa
14-01-14, 22:15
Hi James,

From a fellow Warrior I bid you congrats on beating the beast. Sqaumous Cell Carcinoma TX N2b MO Stage IV here. Still recovering from treatment and have side effects out the wazoo but it sure beats the alternative eh? ;)

You answered a question I had concerning anxiety and serious illness. You can have anxiety or HA and it's crippling to say the least. But when you're actually diagnosed with what you fear the most, the anxiety goes away. You're mindset changes to battle mode and you're right, everything is coming at you so fast and furious you have no time to think of anything else!

Glad to hear you're doing well despite some anxiety niggles. Keep up the fight!

Positive thoughts