PDA

View Full Version : Water intoxication?

Katiex
14-01-14, 04:11
I have been drinking alot of water these last few days due to severe reflux and difficulty swallowing.

Tonight I had a glass of water with my tea, followed by about 4-5 more glasses within a few hours because I had an extremely dry throat. I have also have cups of tea inbetween.

I started to get a severe headache tonight which has now gone followed by feeling like I couldn't take a full breath. These have passed but I've read online that you can die from drinking too much water and now I'm worried I'm going to die in my sleep.

Select
14-01-14, 04:35
Very interesting subject I found thus for you 'The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time' . Don't know if this will help you

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 ----------

Every hour, a healthy kidney at rest can excrete 800 to 1,000 milliliters, or 0.21 to 0.26 gallon, of water and therefore a person can drink water at a rate of 800 to 1,000 milliliters per hour without experiencing a net gain in water, Verbalis explains. If that same person is running a marathon, however, the stress of the situation will increase vasopressin levels, reducing the kidney's excretion capacity to as low as 100 milliliters per hour. Drinking 800 to 1,000 milliliters of water per hour under these conditions can potentially lead a net gain in water, even with considerable sweating, he says.

Brunette
14-01-14, 15:11
You have to drink a great deal of water in a very short space of time before it will do you any harm.

And it would be pretty much impossible not to know you had a problem, let alone just die in your sleep - you'd have a severe headache and nausea.

As long as you are going to the toilet you are fine - that's the body dealing with it in the way it should.

Katiex
14-01-14, 23:19
Thank you both you are absolute stars!