PDA

View Full Version : Lump in back of neck

JB1985
14-01-14, 21:20
Hi all,

Long time lurker. Decided now to make a user since my anxiety is out of control. Looking at these forums always helps me, but this time it send me into a panic frenzy.

Approximately 4 months ago I found what seemed to be small lumps in the skin on the back of my neck. Without noticing I spend the whole day at work picking and poking it. The result was that I actually got two sores (they were red/black by the time I got home, which gave me a new panic attack). The doctor said not to worry, but also said he of course did not know what was below these sores. The sores disappeared and I forgot about them, even though it gave me a small scar.

Now back to my current situation. The reason I forgot about the small lumps was that I just assumed it was nothing. I thought that when people said non-moveable lumps were dangerous it wasn't that it was "inside" the skin, but rather under it in the tissue or muscle. But then someone, in a related thread here on the boards, wrote that dangerous lumps would be fixed to the skin. :scared15:

That is exactly my situation. The lump is >inside< the skin. If I pull out the skin between my thumb and the index finger, I can feel the small lump (it is small - less than 1 cm).

Am I completely overreacting? Did I misunderstand how this moveable/non-moveable thing works?

Appreciate your feedback.

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Actually, perhaps explained in a better way, if I move the skin the lump moves around with the skin.

Fishmanpa
14-01-14, 21:21
You could have your doctor look at them again but it certainly doesn't seem sinister as they haven't grown and weren't concerning to begin with. Just because "people said" something doesn't mean it applies to you but I know how HA works. Thing is, everyone can pull, poke and prod themselves and find something unusual or that they've never felt before. Our bodies are full of stuff like that :)

Positive thoughts

JB1985
14-01-14, 21:25
Thanks for your encouraging words. You're a great asset to this forum.

I will see my doctor tomorrow. Hope I get some sleep.

Andrash
14-01-14, 22:47
Sounds like herpes infection to me (totally harmless, a bit boring and persistent)-but then again, I'am not a doctor. Still, you don't have any follow-up symptoms so it's really nothing sinister. Check with your GP tomorrow but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hypo
15-01-14, 09:41
Herpes in the neck??

Andrash
15-01-14, 11:49
Herpes in the neck??

When I was 20 I had shingles-herpes infection that causes small hard painful lumps. I had mine at the back of my neck.

JB1985
15-01-14, 16:35
So just a follow-up from me. Went to the doctor thinking the worse (as usual). Explained him my fear, and he felt for lymph nodes in the back of my beck and found nothing.

The small lump in the skin had nothing to do with lymph nodes he explained. He couldn't tell exactly, but it was probably just irritation of the tissue because of the scar. Nothing to worry about :)