PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine - unannounced prescription brand switch from Effexor XL to Sunveniz XL?

rankinmikee
15-01-14, 10:03
I wondered if I was alone in having my medication brand switched from Effexor XL to Sunveniz XL.

I have been taking Venlafaxine for a number of years and made no request to switch brands, as I had found stability from the tablets I was given, however, over the last year, my pharmacy have been giving me this new brand - with very unhelpful and wasteful packaging, I might add.

The side effects are considerably worse. The lifespan of the relief is a lot less, despite having identical MG amount per tablet.

I had been not drinking alcohol for a few months, up until around the time they decided to change what I was being given, after years of trying to give it up with no success. It's only in retrospect that I wonder if this may have been one of the triggers leading me to fall off the wagon again. There are other factors too but still...

Aside from this primary concern, the other major problem I've experienced is that these Sunveniz XL tablets are not nearly as smooth, in terms of their "prolonged release" of the chemical. My brain chemistry is up and down like a yoyo. Manic and euphoric and then irritable and furious usually when I'm without a healthy place to vent, since I'm also insomniac, so I've take it out on public internet forums a number of times, due to living alone, leading to distrust amongst people I'd built up a good reputation with until then.

I'm fully aware of where my behaviour goes wrong but at the time I feel so reckless and angry at the world that I simply don't care, when this is happening. It's like commercial suicide, even though I've got past the original suicidal feelings I had - at least for now. I really don't need this added stress and unpredictable crap on top of my underlying issues which I had been tackling better than ever before this brand switch.

I can only guess that Sunveniz are a cheaper brand to Effexor and the switch was due to recent cutbacks to the NHS. Cameron's Britain. Although I have no proof of that, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me, the way the economy is right now.

Now I've realised how much of my work has gone to waste, I've taken this up with the doctor's surgery - who claim that they have no say in what brands patients are given, only the generic medication. I approached Lloyds Pharmacy who've still not switched me back to the former brand.

Thoughts?

Emphyrio
15-01-14, 13:32
A number of people appear to have experienced negative side effects on different brands of medication. This seems to be more of an issue with medications with short half-lives such as venlafaxine and paroxetine. While the medications are allowed a certain tolerance regarding the amount of active incredients, this can vary by as much as 12% (I think) which means that it can shock the system somewhat. Things get complicated if you take an extended release medication as different brands release the medication at different rates.

Your doctor is wrong about being powerless to prescribe certain brands however. Several members of this site have mentioned that they could continue to receive the brand name medication even after it had been made generic, as they did not find the new medication quite as effective. It sounds like you have a very strong case for being able to receive your original brand.

Pipkin
15-01-14, 21:39
Hi there,

I've had just about every brand of venlafaxine and I've never noticed any difference. I guess some people are more sensitive to changes than others. I think it's probably the slow-release mechanism that's causing you problems and, from my experience, you can request a particular brand from the pharmacy. I always get mine from Morrison's these days and I always get Efexor.

Failing that, your GP can specify the brand on the prescription. They're generally loath to do that as it's more expensive although Efexor is now the same price as most generic slow-release capsules - the SR tablets are about half the price though.

Hope that helps

Pip