PDA

View Full Version : Heart attack or Not

Tanner40
15-01-14, 12:30
Good Morning all. I am hoping that this post might help someone, as well as myself. showing the way my symptoms arise and the way in which I ( hopefully) avert a full blown panic attack.

Woke up this morning to the following symptoms:
Very tight and tense shoulder muscle , especially right side.
Very achey right arm.
Hot and flushed feeling.
Sweating. Feels like the room is hot.
Slightly nauseous.
Right fingers tingling slightly.
Rapid breathing.

Thoughts:
My arm is aching. It's my right arm so it's probably not a heart attack.
Something is terribly wrong for my right arm to be hurting. And I'm sweating
and slightly nauseous. It could be a heart attack even if it's my right arm. So I google. In women, right arm pain can be a sign of a heart attack. Oh crap, I know I'm having a heart attack. I'm going to die and I don't want to die. I shouldn't smoke. I know that I'm having a heart attack. Or it could just be anxiety.

Un-catastrophizing my thoughts:
So, my right arm is hurting. Improbably slept on it wrong. It feels like it could be muscular. I'm 53 years old. It's okay to wake up with some aches and pains. It doesn't have to be anything dangerous. I can tell that my neck and shoulders are hurting due to muscular tension. Muscular tension can and certainly does cause my right arm to ache.

Actions:
Deep breathing exercises to slow down my breathing. That also manages to cool myself down. I'm no longer hot.
Stretches. This manages to isolate the areas that are tense. Shoulders, just like I thought.
writing in my journal and then posting on NMP. In essence, putting the lie to my irrational thoughts.

Panic averted and anxiety lessened. Does my right arm still hurt? Yes, it does. Do I think that I am in imminent danger? No, I don't.
Is all of my anxiety gone? Not all of it, but most of it.

These are the types of things that I do when I feel panic creeping in.

Now if only I could stop smoking. So many things that I do for myself. One I haven't yet mastered.

I hope that this post helps someone in some way of coping today.

Fishmanpa
15-01-14, 12:48
Good Job Tanner! You're an example of what one can do when determined to become a Dragon Slayer!

I was a smoker from my teens. Cigarettes, pipe and finally cigars. Ironically enough I decided to quit the time I got the sinus infection and subsequently the swollen node that turned out to be cancer. As it turned out I had no choice obviously.

From my experience here, it has overwhelmingly shown that smoking, drinking and anxiety don't mix at all. Anyway.... no lecture... you know you need to stop.

I used the E-cig to quit. I did so within a couple of months by tapering down the strength of the cartridges until I was on 0% nicotine. After that I was tobacco and nicotine free.

You have the inner fortitude to fight off the Dragon. I have no doubt it's strong enough to quit smoking ;)

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
15-01-14, 13:09
Thanks Fishmanpa. I was hoping thatbthis post could help others to get to the point of talking the anxiety down.
As for the smoking, of course I need to stop. Hardest thing that I've ever tried to do. I bought a really nice e-cigarette and lost the darned charger. I think that I will go and buy a new charger today. I've got to find the same inner courage to fight this dragon, the one that actually will kill me.

Fishmanpa
15-01-14, 13:15
Your post truly is interesting as it shows CBT at it's best. You still have anxiety. It's like I had posted about cured vs. healed BUT you're healing. You had the same thoughts you would have had months ago BUT you've learned skills to help rationalize them and tame the Dragon.

I truly wish more would take notice. One point that you didn't mention and is vital to making this all work is "acceptance". You accept that you have anxiety and that's the key in making CBT work.

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
15-01-14, 13:41
Acceptance is the key, for sure. And you're right. I wish more folks would take notice of the success stories than do when commiserating about their symptoms. People would heal much quicker. People only heal when ready though.

Allyann
15-01-14, 13:56
Thank you SO much. Your self -talk was so like the chain

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Thank you SO much. Your self-talk was so like the chain of thoughts that I run through myself and it really helped me to read your post after a bit of a rough night.

Thanks for sharing and all good wishes
Ally

katesa
15-01-14, 14:19
Brilliant babe. You are a real inspiration lady x

TooMuchToLiveFor
15-01-14, 14:32
Tanner, you ROCK!!! I loved your post.....you truly are a Dragon Slayer. Maybe down the road we should all consider opening Dragon Slayer University. :D

You will find the strength necessary to quit smoking. I know I have read several places that smoking can be a big trigger to panic attacks. Sometimes it is hard to take on one more thing, but you are an amazing woman....I have no doubt this will be part of your success story someday soon!

Thank you for such a great post. I think it will help many!!!