PDA

View Full Version : Extra acid? scared

channie009
15-01-14, 16:47
Hi uhm, i'm having a big bout of heartburn/indigestion and stuff and i'm worried.
I've been drinking A LOT of Fanta lately and I know that's what's causing this.

What i'm worried about is, i've had this for 3 days now. I can actually feel a burning down the back of my throat.
I have anxiety over trying new things such as foods and stuff. I'm worried about taking this antacid incase I get an allergy towards it.

What I wanna know is, if I take a few more days to take this antacid, how will it affect me?
I'm scared that while i'm worrying about taking this antacid, my stomach is getting wrecked and stuff :(

Sorry if this makes no sense.

jacki
15-01-14, 16:59
if your really scared to take the antacid, try drinking milk, and eating healthy food for a couple of days see if that helps any,
but taking the antacid will be fine honestly :)

channie009
15-01-14, 17:10
They're a new brand of antacid and that's what's worrying me. I've had Tums before but now my parents bought cheap morrison brand ones. I'm scared to try new brands of foods :( Also i'm a little anxious about trying milk too.

jacki
15-01-14, 17:16
most supermarket brands are exactly the same and are probably made by the same company, if you have took a similar kind before they should be ok,

try not to worry about it :)

LunaLiuna
15-01-14, 17:19
Worrying about it actually causes more acid! try and eat some veg, raw if you can.

Lemons are good too, oh and obviously Apples :)

Althea
15-01-14, 20:10
I'm going to disagree a bit with some of what's been said. Generally, for acid and reflux citrus fruits like lemons, grapefruits and oranges are not recommended (they're just bringing more acid), and nor is milk any more. Tomatoes can also cause problems, as can onions and garlic for some people. Peppermint, despite its reputation as a soother, can annoy people with reflux as well. (And anything with caffeine or alcohol is off, but you probably knew that.)

While in your case it probably is just the Fanta, it's probably better to steer away from stuff that can cause problems till things settle down. The store brand Tums are fine, chewing gum can be good (encourages saliva production, which neutralizes acid), and dry biscuits or bread can often soothe things as long as you just take a small bit--you want to avoid overeating.

You're not going to do any serious damage to yourself in three days--most people who have GERD don't have any long-term damage at all in far longer intervals than that. So don't overfocus on stopping the reflux sensation right now, because that stress will just prolong it. It'll go in its own time. Good luck!

LunaLiuna
15-01-14, 20:20
Sorry, I must of been misinformed.

Althea
15-01-14, 20:24
And lemons may work for somebody--bodies are very individual! But if you're just starting to figure your reflux out, I'd avoid 'em. Save them for all the poor people sniffling with colds :).

Freaked
15-01-14, 23:08
Allergies to over-the-counter antacids are pretty much non-existent (afaik), cos they use natural chemicals like magnesium to neutralise stuff. I've had heartburn and gastritis all my life; really unlikely your stomach will get damaged in three days. Hope that helps.

Tanner40
15-01-14, 23:59
Go ahead and take the antacid. It's not going to hurt you. Off brand stuff like that is made by the large companies and just packaged under a different name. I promise it's not going to hurt you.