PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with the Dentist?

samtheman
15-01-14, 17:17
OK so I had the Dentist today, the plan was to get a wisdom tooth removed, I say plan because it didn't happen and I have to go again but not sure I can face it.

For the most part I wasn't particularly anxious about today, I managed to put it out of my mind most of the day, and I wasn't to bad up until the point I got the numbing injection then it went wrong, the sensation of being numb made me anxious, then she started poking at my tooth and I could still feel the pain so O got another shot, this went on for 45 mins:scared15: I had 4 in total + 2 spray freezes and I was crapping myself and the dentist knew it, I was in a right panic, on the verge of crying to be frank which isn't a cool look for a 32 year old man especially if the dentist is a 20 something woman. In the end we gave up and I have to go back in 2 weeks again to go through the ordeal again.

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

teej
15-01-14, 19:08
Speak with your GP - assuming there are no mitigating circumstances (unlike me - alcohol problems or your GP being anti-benzo) - they should be able to give you a dose of a short acting benzodiazepine to keep you calm during the procedures.

Annie0904
15-01-14, 20:32
You could ask to be referred to a dentist who does sedation. I go to one now who does sedation and it is much better for me.

Kenna5027
16-01-14, 19:06
I would have it surgically removed and be put under, if possible. I get panicy at the dentist when I can't swallow and so I feel your pain. Wisdom teeth take awhile to be removed and I think it was well worth it for me to be put under.