PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new to this.

Scotlandkiwi
15-01-14, 23:13
Hi, I'm new to this. My name is Kirsty and I am a sufferer of anxiety, which is gradually getting worse. I feel like I am losing control and don't know what to do.

I suffer from health related anxiety and generalised anxiety disorders. It is an every day thing now, and I cannot live a normal life.
I suffer from panic attacks also.

Examples:

I suffer from migraines, and if one doesn't feel like I am used to, I am convinced I have a brain tumour, or I have a ruptured aneurysm.
I have chest pain, and I am convinced I am having a heart attack.
I have pain in my arm, I am convinced its a heart attack.
Dizzy spell, think I am dying.

It is taking over my life. Socially, personally and professionally.

I can't eat new foods cos I am scared that I will have a bad reaction, and possibly go into anaphylactic shock.
I am scared to take new medication, incase I have a reaction to that.

Basically, I believe everything is bad and that I am going to die. Every situation is life threatening. I just cannot cope with the stress and anxiety.

I am currently on an anti depressant (sertraline) which is meant to help, but with my problem being with medication too, I have only today plucked up the courage to pick this prescription up. Has been sitting in the chemist for 5 weeks now.
I have been on beta blockers before, but taken off them cos they had no effect on me.

I don't believe that medication will work, but my doctor will not refer me to a psychologist until they have tried all the medications they can with me.

I would appreciate any feedback and possible advice if anyone is suffering like me, or worse.

Many thanks.

KLP
15-01-14, 23:32
I was prescribed med's but didn't take them, but your doc should recommend you for NHS CBT, don't take the meds if you really don't want to. And you shouldn't have been made to feel backed into a corner and bullied into taken them. Remember it's your body your choice. Go back to docs or get a second option.

Good luck

Antonio2301
16-01-14, 00:05
:welcome: Kirsty

Pretty much the same symptoms as yourself although have improved with my health anxiety which I suffered for years with .. Its always a worry when you 1st start on medication I understand .

I can never understand these doctors that just want to throw tablets at you and send you on your way ? .. Tablets are not a cure for your problems and wont get to the root of your problem , so think its really unfair of them to say you need to try all the meds first before seeing a psychologist
It`s the easy way out for most GP`s nowadays .. Pretty ignorant towards mental illness

I have taken meds on and off for years and have overcome panic attacks and anxiety without medication in the past and it can be done with the right therapy

Hope youre not feeling too bad :hugs:

Antonio