PDA

View Full Version : any nurses with anxiety?

Rachy-Rach
16-01-14, 02:19
I have struggled with anxiety since qualifying. I have now been qualified for five years and have been told I am an excellent nurse. I stopped citalopram at the beginning of last year to try for a baby. I am now 11 weeks pregnant and have just started a new job. I think my anxiety is coming back big time and I feel like I am making stupid mistakes. Nothing has happened and I have probably made no mistakes but I'm terrorfied of doing something wrong and harming a patient. Also been very sick with the pregnancy. Now can't sleep for worrying

jackie13
16-01-14, 07:56
Hi Hun

Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy that's great news for a New Year!

When I was pregnant I suffered awful morning sickness and anxiety but it soon passed. Your hormones are all over the place. I am going through Perrimenopause and have bad anxiety at certain times, I never realised how much fluctuating hormones can be the root cause of anxiety.

With the above, you starting a new job and being a nurse no wonder you are feel not quite right at the moment.

You are doing a great job, we need good nurses like you. Take it easy hun, try and relax and be kind to yourself.

It will get easier hun promise, as I said, I found the first few weeks of pregnancy to be awful, but you will be fine.

Luv & hugs
Jackie xx

Amandala
16-01-14, 15:12
Hi there. Congrats on the baby! My hubby and I were going to try and conceive this February,but do to my panic disorder flare up, that's on hold for the moment.
I did want to say that although I am not a nurse, I am a dietitian and also work in the health care field. I get very nervous about screwing up someone's TPN or tube feeding, or fluid restriction calculations myself. I have not hurt or killed anyone,even on my worst days. I am sure you are an excellent nurse so please don't doubt yourself! That will only feed the anxiety!

Rachy-Rach
17-01-14, 01:00
It definitely seems to be back. I'm worrying and can't sleep because I think I should have checked better that I took the right patient to an appointment the other day. My hormones were all over the place and I only asked her first name. It will all get sorted out but I'm so worried about it. The stupid thing is it's very unlikely I did anything wrong but I always think I have. I discussed some of my anxiety with a Senior nurse today who couldn't have been more supportive but I can't stop worrying! Only had about an hours sleep last night as a result. Thanks for your replies. You do help. How do you cope?

Catherine S
17-01-14, 01:12
I have never taken Citalopram but can I ask if it acts as a kind of sedative on the system? If so then you are probably in withdrawal which could be why you feel so anxious. Many years ago I was pescribed a tranquilzer and had a heck of a job coming off it, but more recently I have been taking a beta blocker which isn't as brutal on the body but will still be hard to stop because of its calming effect on my heart, even at a low dose, and like any withdrawal it takes a bit of time for the body to adjust to its own rythym.

Rachy-Rach
17-01-14, 01:39
I've not taken citalopram for a year now. I'm sure it's the stress of beginning a new job while feeling very ill in my first trimester that has set things off again. Just hoping I can cope. Workare ssupportive but I'm really struggling to sleep

Catherine S
17-01-14, 01:50
See, you've just given yourself your own advice! But I know its not easy when you have health anxiety to convince yourself that what you are going through is normal. With my last pregnancy I suffered greatly with ectopic beats and heart flutters, which I had suffered for many years before, but the pregnancy made them much worse...drove me crazy.

Rachy-Rach
17-01-14, 18:57
I don't think I've given advice. I understand why I'm experiencing anxiety again but I don't like it :-(