PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with me?

swick55
16-01-14, 02:46
hello everyone. I guess I should start out that in new to the whole posting my problems on the internet thing, I really need some help here.

I'm a male, 20 years old who has recently been diagnosed with epilepsy. (I hit my head in June 2013 and started having seizures. I started medication in September of the same year.)

My medication is tegrotol (carbamazepine). Ever since I started the medication the seizures have stopped, however I now have new side effects. It first started out as a lost feeling, as in if I was talking to someone I couldn't see, so say across the house, and if they didn't reply I'd feel that they never existed and I was just talking to myself. Until they answered or I seen them, it was a very scary feeling.

after a few months passed and I became adjusted to my meds, that uncomfortable feeling stopped and I have been living my life almost normally (still some odd days where I'm depressed or scared another seizure is going to happen).

I guess that little story leads to yesterday, my real problem. Late last night as I was going to bed, I looked at my girlfriend. (this is where it gets are to explain).. I thought I was going to see her turn around and stare at me with them scary faces you see in paranormal activity scenes, or even a zombie face.. I don't know. It hasn't actually happened, but I have this worried feeling that it is going to happen.

If anyone can actually understand what I'm trying to say, I want to know. Is this a starting of hallucinations? If not what can it be?

The reason why I am asking you guys is because I'm scared to tell my doctor, and I end up in a nut house. That is one of my greatest fears. I don't want to become schitzophrinic (don't mind the spelling)

So is it hallucinations? What should I do? Can anyone explain why this is happening? I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me.

Thanks,
Cody

trish1955
16-01-14, 10:34
Hi not saying I am right but my son started haveing seazures out the blue when he was 13 like you he went on meds for a short time he only had four fits over a period of two yes even though he stopped his beds he didn't like how it made him feel but from the fits his nerves became sensatised things he wouldn't have given a second thought to no played on his mind more fear of going mad yr mind seems to hold on to things that would been a silly flashing thought that you would have not given a second thought to but now ye sensatised to going mad you let the thoughts bother you he also was left being ferry anxiuose and began having panic attacks fear of the fits returning even though he is now twenty five and not had one since he was about fifeteen hope you understand wat I am saying try and except the thoughts are just thoughts x

Rubicon
16-01-14, 11:27
Since this has only come on since you started taking the meds, this is of course not the start of schizophrenia, or 'going crazy' etc. Please remember if someone has to be put in the 'nut house' (not a great thing to call it - some people here have been in a psychiatric hospital) then usually they're no longer in touch with reality and they've got no idea that they have 'lost it'. So you don't have to worry, you will not be sectioned or anything. Lots of the time if someone is suffering from schizophrenia or something similar, they have no idea they are unwell, and it is the friends and family of said person who seeks help for them.

It's obviously just a scary, unpleasant side effect of the medication. Please go and see your doctor, there might be other options you can look into, changing meds, etc. You are not crazy, just having some bad side effects. :-)

swick55
18-01-14, 08:28
thanks for the replies, it is really reassuring:)