PDA

View Full Version : Other People's Ignorance on Anxiety

Chester
16-01-14, 16:26
I've been out of work on medical leave since 2012 and I have been doing work for a local children's charity. It's been quite good for my confidence

We managed to get a pot of funding to organise a day camp for the kids and I was tasked with organising this

One of the committee members who oversee our project is a mutual friend and at a recent event made comments about me being 'a bit of a nutter I take it' as well as 'likely to spend the money drinking away their problems' and 'stealing tax payers money on that ESA, should be at work'

This really shook me up and I made a formal complaint. Unfortunately it turned to word v word and despite other people coming forward and saying the same member had a similar attitude with them all that happened was a slap on the wrist.

My confidence is low and I can't take confrontation or awkwardness at the moment, I managed to develop a dodgy heart so I really don't/can't have the associated stress.

As a result I've had to walk away from the charity and all because of the ignorant comments of someone who doesnt' understand mental health

Rachy-Rach
17-01-14, 10:06
What they said was really mean but you don't have to walk away. It's none of their business what your life is like. If you're being successful stay and do the good work. Just ignore them. You don't have to confront them.

spikenl
17-01-14, 13:43
Allot of people don't understand anxiety. My father never understood me, although i always said he was.

You can only fully understand anxiety when you've had it yourself. Just stay positive, ignorance is a sign of weakness, you're better than that

jcd_gad
21-01-14, 10:24
Hi,

I know what you mean.... There is a good book titled something like "Depression curse of the strong".....

I tell very few people as I want people to treat me as normal, however i've told my HR and my Managing Directors. (x3 ppl)....

I've found them to be of great help and quite understanding. What this guy did is discrimination and akin to constructive dismissal through bullying and harassment.

The charity in question failed to safe guard you against this... I'm guessing their HR manager was spineless and didn't want to rock the boat.

find another charity and get yourself back in :))

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

I see that there is someone here from another country.... :)
Welcome :)
Just curious to hear how mental health specifically depression is viewed and how support is given in other countries...?

pinkofire
21-01-14, 14:21
You can only fully understand anxiety when you've had it yourself. Just stay positive, ignorance is a sign of weakness, you're better than that

Yes this is exactly right. I don't think its possible for people to understand unless they have suffered. :mad:

Chester
23-01-14, 18:56
Thanks for getting in touch everyone.

The person in question has made even more comments. I approached the Chair and Vice Chair with a formal complaint and they say 'they know' and 'the individual has a record for being inappropriate' but 'is a volunteer so little can be done'. They have point blank refused to remove him because 'hes a different generation and speaks his mind'

I submitted my resignation and copied in my local MIND who have done some work with the charity. I refuse to work for an organisation that has someone as a Director/Trustee who is so dismissive of mental health.

Fishmanpa
23-01-14, 19:17
I'm actually sorry to hear this Chester. I guess my feathers would have been ruffled and I would have off on the guy and told him where he could put his attitude ;) It seems you're the one losing the most. This guy is going to continue being the way he is and you won't be nary a thought in his mind once you're gone. You're losing something you really care about doing and makes you feel good. He's losing nothing.

Perhaps Karma will bite him in the butt....

Positive thoughts

MRS STRESS ED
23-01-14, 19:43
Thanks for getting in touch everyone.

The person in question has made even more comments. I approached the Chair and Vice Chair with a formal complaint and they say 'they know' and 'the individual has a record for being inappropriate' but 'is a volunteer so little can be done'. They have point blank refused to remove him because 'hes a different generation and speaks his mind'

I submitted my resignation and copied in my local MIND who have done some work with the charity. I refuse to work for an organisation that has someone as a Director/Trustee who is so dismissive of mental health.

I find this so awful, to me they are as bad ad the person who abused you ,sounds like a sad little individual with nothing better to do ,its very sad you have to leave something you enjoy and gave you convidence he has no understanding of mental health and he wants to be careful because 1 in 4 people can get a mental health problem anytime in their life ermmm :whistles:

Volvoman50
23-01-14, 19:56
Abuse is wrong full stop! However it comes; whether it be about mental or physical issues!

Chester
23-01-14, 20:01
Thank you all.

I think I'm going to dedicate my time to something like Mind or the Anxiety Line or Samaritans that is understanding of things. It hasn't helped around the same time I've been diagnosed with a relapse of sorts (my PHQ9 etc tests are sky high again) but nevermind!

I hope thats the good that comes out of this, me helping someone else like...us, me, you, him, her. Anyone

bigh123
24-01-14, 10:59
according to my wife in attention seeking and there's nothing wrong with me

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

also because i did my cbt over the phone ( as i didnt want to visit the center) according to her that's no use .