PDA

View Full Version : Negativity bias

NE21 worrier
16-01-14, 20:12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias

Hello people,

I have made some good strides in dealing with anxiety over the second half of 2013 and, despite some difficulties at work (now largely resolved), I have also managed in 2014 without any major problems.

Nevertheless, I was doing some reading around how I will often recall the downs in life rather than the ups. This can even be as simple as me remembering a difficult call at work when I may have taken dozens of reasonable calls that day.

In my reading, I stumbled across the theory of Negativity bias, the psychological phenomenon by which humans have a greater recall of unpleasant memories compared with positive memories.

I learned how this can be solved by thinking about Claire Weekes and her idea of Acceptance. Now, as soon as I start thinking about things that are getting me down, I try and find some balance by questioning if I am being entirely reasonable in my assessment or perception of the situation. I then accept that I only thought about the bad situation first due to the negativity bias which is so hard-wired in our brains.

Of course, for anyone currently dealing with constant worry, this practice is difficult to do as self-analysis is possibly the last thing you need to do. But for those dealing with a specific situation or suffering a relapse, this could hopefully be a useful perspective.