PDA

View Full Version : Multivitamins

MissSunshine
16-01-14, 22:08
Hi I am thinking about taking centrum as I've heard this is a good multivitamin but as I have a phobia about taking medications I'm scared and would like advise from anyone who takes multivitamins please

Are there any risks with taking multivitamins
Can you take them with your normal medications I'm on meds for acid reflux and ibs.

When do you take the multivitamins

How long should you take them for?

I'm hoping these multivitamins will make me feel more awake improve my hair and skin and also my immune system but as I said I'm scared to take anything new :unsure:

LunaLiuna
16-01-14, 22:12
You can try it, it's different for everyone. Personally I only found fish oil to work for me, but sorting out my diet was probably the most rewarding.

Oh and I've taken vitamins with my medication, I was fine :)

Althea
16-01-14, 22:25
Multivitamins haven't proven particularly valuable, to be honest; they're not likely to hurt you, but when they've been studied they don't translate to better health in people who don't have a deficit. Generally there's no "more is better" with vitamins, and I don't think there's any need for you to fight a phobia to take something that isn't actually all that useful.

Do you know what you're taking for your reflux, though? The PPIs--Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, or generally omeprazole, pantoprazole, other -prazoles--can interfere with your absorption of some vitamins, especially B12, from your food, which is something to consider if you're taking them longterm. (Famotidine, ranitidine, cimetidine--like Zantac--aren't PPIs and aren't associated with that.) If you're on PPIs, it might be worth asking your doctor about supplemental B12.

MissSunshine
16-01-14, 22:32
You can try it, it's different for everyone. Personally I only found fish oil to work for me, but sorting out my diet was probably the most rewarding.

Oh and I've taken vitamins with my medication, I was fine :)

I'm currently sorting out my diet, adding more red meat and veg! Guess there's no harm trying. :)

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

Multivitamins haven't proven particularly valuable, to be honest; they're not likely to hurt you, but when they've been studied they don't translate to better health in people who don't have a deficit. Generally there's no "more is better" with vitamins, and I don't think there's any need for you to fight a phobia to take something that isn't actually all that useful.

Do you know what you're taking for your reflux, though? The PPIs--Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, or generally omeprazole, pantoprazole, other -prazoles--can interfere with your absorption of some vitamins, especially B12, from your food, which is something to consider if you're taking them longterm. (Famotidine, ranitidine, cimetidine--like Zantac--aren't PPIs and aren't associated with that.) If you're on PPIs, it might be worth asking your doctor about supplemental B12.

I'm on omeprazole haven't been on them long but my doctor said I need to be on them long term I didn't have a clue they interfere with the vitamin intake from foods :scared15:

LunaLiuna
16-01-14, 22:35
Yeah I stupidly went raw vegan for two years! I'm sure I've got a deficiency in something but it wasn't shown in my bloods, I've fixed my diet now though and I'm actually putting on weight for once :)

nomorepanic
16-01-14, 22:47
I take Centrum and have done for about 5 years with no problems

MissSunshine
17-01-14, 08:38
That's the multivitamin I'm wanting to take Nicola :) have you seen any good changes since taking them?