PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack just now walking the dog

cloudbusting
17-01-14, 12:11
I'm slumped on the sofa now. Just had a horrible panic attack whilst walking my dog - that's never happened before. Would someone mind reading through this ?

Been having panic now for a few months, it was worst at Christmas (I called out a paramedic on Christmas night).

Since New Year I have been walking everyday without fail, just for half an hour, watching what I am eating (lost 5 lbs) and have been feeling better. Still niggling anxiety but it felt under control.

By the way, I have had numerous checks at the drs and have a clean bill of health, healthy heart etc.

I had a slightly longer walk today and it was harder work as uphill. Of course, I was breathing harder and I guess I went into hyperventilation ? It was dreadful, we were still a way away from home and I had no choice but to carry on. Couldn't calm myself down at all.

It *did* subside after some minutes but I am still shaky now. Doing my breathing ... am so sick of this !

Also, I have had a bit of a stressful morning as my carers allowance wasn't paid and I was relying on it (my daughter is disabled). Was on the phone to them at 8 this morning and we were late for school. Am upset and worried about money right now.

Thanks for reading this, any thoughts ? :weep:

Lisa x

edwardthebear
17-01-14, 12:53
Perhaps the worries about money were preying deep on your subconscious even while you thought you were perfectly relaxed during your walk. The good news is that you have been given a clean bill of health although I know that doesn't make the horrible sensations of a panic attack any less unpleasant. It will pass, hang on in there. Hope you get your allowance through soon.

Tanner40
17-01-14, 12:56
Cloud Bursting, continue to focus on the positive. Job well done for getting out and walking everyday. Eating more healthy foods will also help. Congratulate yourself on those accomplishments and just consider this as a small blip. You're doing great.

cloudbusting
17-01-14, 13:17
Thanks, both, very much appreciated.

I was very upset this morning. Something like the money not being paid in is annoying, obviously, but I could 'handle' it before I became nervously ill (been reading my Dr Weekes book !). Today, however, it made me burst into tears :shrug:

So, would you say that my adrenaline was raised anyway then I set off on the walk and the over breathing tipped it over the edge ?

What I hate is that I have been doing so well and I don't want this to put me off my walks :mad:

Thanks guys, this is such a valuable resource.

Tanner40
17-01-14, 13:33
I'd say that's exactly what it was. Don't let this put you off of your walks. When we begin to avoid things due to fear, our problems tend to escalate. There is a great book called, Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway. Give it a go. It's helped me a lot.

cloudbusting
17-01-14, 13:38
Thanks, Tanner.

You are dead right, I don't want anything spoiling the good progress I have made so far. It's a huge thing for me to be walking as much as I have, my little dog is over the moon !

I had been feeling so good too, as I say, knowing that the anxiety was still there but loads better than I've felt for months.

I guess it's just a bump in the road and it's done me a favour in a way as now I can remember that the dreadful feelings did subside.

When you're in the grip of it it's so hard to remember that it's 'only anxiety' :wacko:

Lisa x

sunday
17-01-14, 21:58
'cloudbursting, this sounds like me last week! i started power walking a couple of months ago to TRY and get rid of some of this excess adrenaline.. anyway although i often feel a bit wired on my walks (not here, a bit dizzy etc) last sat as i was walking i started to think about my BP and then i came over all funny, REALLY thought i was going to faint, my mouth got watery and my legs went to jelly, i thought 'this is it'!!

i had to go home. And now, like you, i'm worried about my next walk, and its really putting me off :-(

i just keep thinking, would a thought over raising BP REALLY effect my body like this? i'm tired of it too, i want normality back and just to enjoy the simple pleasures again.

hugs x

cloudbusting
18-01-14, 08:54
Hiya Sunday
I hear ya !
I am going out a little later today to th exact spot where I panicked yesterday to prove t o myself that my thoughts were the cause for yesterday's episode.
Sunday, it does seem a bit mad, really, but in our current highly sensitised states then, yes, I believe that we can trigger the adrenaline just by thinking of 'what ifs'.
Good for you on doing the power walks. My walking has definitely helped me and I won't be stopping it now.
Best wishes
Lisa x