PDA

View Full Version : Valerian & Medication

LunaLiuna
17-01-14, 14:50
Hello everyone,

I just came to ask, has anyone used Valerian whilst on Medication? the box doesn't exactly make it clear if I can or not. I was looking at St Johns Wart as well but I decided to get the Valerian.

I'm on Sertraline 50mg and I use Melatonin for sleep. I wanted to substitute the melatonin for the Valerian though.

thank you :)

venusbluejeans
17-01-14, 16:02
I am on Citalopram and am pretty sure that I can't take Valerian while taking that so the best thing to do is maybe see a pharmasist and ask them

LunaLiuna
17-01-14, 16:03
Okay thank you :D

MyNameIsTerry
03-03-14, 05:31
Yeah, I would ask a pharmacist about this as they know far more about contrindications of these things than GP's.

Sites such as Drugs.com and WebMD list things that contraindicate so you might spot something. I know some SSRI/SNRI's are listed, my SNRI is.

I think it takes some time to get Valerian working and you come across guidance about using it for X weeks being reducing it. So, I would suggest asking about that whilst with the pharmacist.

I don't know about St Johns Wort, but I would be careful with that. I don't know about SNRI's such as mine but I remember being on Citalopram as an SSRI and that did suggest not using it as it could interact. I seem to recall it try to do the same job so perhaps it could mean to much of certain levels in your body but I would have to confirm that, venusbluejeans will probably know as I recall it being listed in the info with the box.

All the best.

T