PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and Drinking

Fishmanpa
17-01-14, 14:51
Drinking: I won't get into a long drawn out post about this but it's been proven that drinking and anxiety DO NOT MIX! Especially if you're taking meds. Self medicating is self destructive and will limit severely your chances of healing from your anxiety.

Smoking: As a former smoker and heart attack/cancer survivor, I can attest just how harmful this habit is. To top it off, the US Surgeon General just issued a new report. I won't post the link. Those that dare, look it up. If that doesn't scare the ~*!&#$% out of you, I don't know what will! I know there are many here that smoke. It just doesn't make sense when you fear some of the very diseases it causes.

Nuff said... just thought I'd throw a reminder out there for you to chew on ;)

Positive thoughts

Magic
17-01-14, 15:08
Fishmanpa,
I am chewin on it.
I too have had heart bypass. 2001.
First of all I do not drink alcohol.:)
I do smoke though. have done for the past two years:mad:
I smoke about forty cigs week.(outside on the naughty step)
I do suffer with extreme anxiety, and nothing the GP has prescribed
with medication will calm or relax me.
It's an on going family situation which I cannot explain as it is a private
matter.
I am ashamed of myself at times, but life goes on, and I am alive,
at the moment anyway:noangel: I do agree with all you say.:hugs:

clare_201086
17-01-14, 15:11
wish i could quit smoking!

MRS STRESS ED
17-01-14, 15:12
Smoking: As a former smoker and heart attack/cancer survivor, I can attest just how harmful this habit is. To top it off, the US Surgeon General just issued a new report. I won't post the link. Those that dare, look it up. If that doesn't scare the ~*!&#$% out of you, I don't know what will! I know there are many here that smoke. It just doesn't make sense when you fear some of the very diseases it causes.

Nuff said... just thought I'd throw a reminder out there for you to chew on ;)

Positive thoughts[/QUOTE]

I was a smoker, not anymore its been over two years now omg ,I feel so much better best thing I ever done :D and I dont go out that often to drink lol xx

Andrash
17-01-14, 15:20
I am not and never have been a smoker, and I have no wish to start either. :)

As for the drinking, it's a bit harder-I like to flirt with it occasionally. However, nothing excessive-couple of beers or whiskys here and there, or an occasional bottle of wine during long lunches/dinners.

katesa
17-01-14, 15:29
I have the odd glass of wine. But I'm no longer on anxiety meds and have never panicked about the hangover symptoms. And my odd glass of wine has become literally every other month or so since having the baby.

Smoking - quit a good number of months ago now. Don't miss it and it is so nice to be free of the guilt and the feeling that I "deserve" something awful more than non smokers.

I agree with you Fishmanpa. I think that anybody can drink and smoke as much as they darn well like. But one has to accept that possible consequences of that.

unsure_about_this
17-01-14, 16:04
I will not have a look for the website as it will increased my anxiety even more so.

I do not smoke never will do or drink alcohol okay now and again may have a shandy (larger and lemonade)

I am worried about enough as is it.

Althea
17-01-14, 16:06
It's also worth thinking about caffeine intake in there--coffee, caffeinated tea, even energy drinks. Most anxious people do not need their nervous system revved up any more than it already is.

Fishmanpa
17-01-14, 22:56
Bumping because I just read two threads about smoking and drinking and ANXIETY!

Positive thoughts

Antonio2301
17-01-14, 23:28
Absolutley ..Through previous experience with alchohol Ive had some horrendous panic attacks /anxiety attacks in the past the following morning . Its 7 years since Ive touched any alchoholic drink and can quite easily go the rest of my time without it .
I wish I could stop smoking as easy though ..:huh:

RoseEve
17-01-14, 23:40
I quit smoking it's been a little over a month now :) I don't drink because my father is an alcoholic.

Fishmanpa
17-01-14, 23:48
I quit smoking it's been a little over a month now :) I don't drink because my father is an alcoholic.

Congrats on the smoking!! Keep up the good work!

Positive thoughts

Kev-g
18-01-14, 00:25
Currently drinking and smoking, I drink (so I tell myself) because I cant sleep, I know if I drink too much I feel rubbish, so................ been signed off work for 2 weeks and intend to stop the drinking in the week, as for the smoking, 1 step at a time

Lin71
18-01-14, 00:42
About ten years ago I had a health assessment with my new doctor at the time, who asked me if I smoked. I proudly said I'd given up about 5 years previously, naively expecting a 'well done' or 'congratulations'. Instead she glared at me and wrote EX SMOKER in big letters on the form she was filling in, and underlined it lots of times in red pen :ohmy: !!

I do regret smoking and sometimes wonder if it will come back to bite me on the butt one day.

I do have a drink quite regularly. I don't get drunk, but I have a little often which I know is just as bad. I must cut down but it takes the edge off the anxiety. If I have too much I get a regular hangover which I start to imagine is some serious ailment or other, so it's just not worth it for me.

A tip if you're a wine drinker trying to cut down, a lot of it is habit. Try sparkling water in a nice wine glass if you normally drink wine with dinner. Sometimes I can convince myself it's a treat just through the similar ritual. But you might be less easily led than me :D

Lin x