PDA

View Full Version : "Silent" heart attacks

ryangreen
17-01-14, 16:20
So this is my third post on here as I have been mulling over this incredible site since finding it yesterday and I must say I'm surprised by how many people share my daily struggle and are here to support others.

That being said I failed myself last night and did something I have only done a few times and that is I paid a visit to "Dr Google" well I came upon something I have never heard of before and it sent a shiver down my spine, the term "silent heart attack" jumped off the page. Now here is why it bothers me so much. I have been told time and time again and read on here (thanks fishmanpa) that I would know for sure that I was having a heart attack as it's painful and usually you drop from the pain. Well these so called silent heart attacks cause little to no pain which scares the hell out of me. So how would I know for sure if things like this happen too?

On a side note I want to commend and thank fishmanpa for his wealth of knowledge and the support and guidance he has shown so many on this site l know I'm not alone when I say this sir but you are a golden asset on this forum for sure

Fishmanpa
17-01-14, 16:27
Well these so called silent heart attacks cause little to no pain which scares the hell out of me. So how would I know for sure if things like this happen too?

Thanks for your kind words :) The reason it's called silent is you never know you had it. It shows up later down the line of you happen to have a "not so silent" heart attack ;)

At 30 years old, either one is highly unlikely. Let me put it this way...worrying about having a silent heart attack is like worrying about farting in your sleep. "Did I or didn't I?"... and if it's a real heart attack, it'll wake you just like a bad fart will ~lol~

Positive thoughts... and some air freshener ;)

ChopperHD
17-01-14, 16:27
Silent MI's (Myocardial Infarctions:heart attacks) are in my experience occurrences that older people experience. Sometimes they are not even detected during life although should show on a 12 lead ECG. Basically, don't worry! If you have a consequential MI you will know about it or you will simply pass away in your sleep, the latter being most unlikely unless you are very old. Familiarise yourself with all the symptoms of an MI, not just the chest and arm pain ones. I recently had some of these and it turned out to be a high BP. The main thing is to stay calm, if you are really concerned dial 999, they won't mind.

Andrash
17-01-14, 16:29
Silent or loud, heart attack will show on ECG. If your ECG is normal, there are neither silent nor normal heart attacks.

Another thing, they are highly unlikely to occur before age 40. You'll virtually be a medical phenomenon if you experience one before mid-older age.

ryangreen
17-01-14, 17:01
Thanks for your replies and a big LOL to fishmanpa for the fart reference.

I think one of the hardest parts for me right now is the scary pains I get and it puts the alarms off. For instance right now I have a feeling like someone is taking their hands and pushing realy hard on my heart and left shoulder blade in my back it's a really uncomfortable, eery feeling

Andrash
17-01-14, 17:10
Thanks for your replies and a big LOL to fishmanpa for the fart reference.

I think one of the hardest parts for me right now is the scary pains I get and it puts the alarms off. For instance right now I have a feeling like someone is taking their hands and pushing realy hard on my heart and left shoulder blade in my back it's a really uncomfortable, eery feeling

You probably have anxietitis ;)

saab
17-01-14, 17:40
Can only agree with above. When my pvcs were first discovered I had an ecg to see if I had had a heart attack (hadn't) - heart damage shows on an ecg and an echo.

When you have anxiety you become aware of every little sensation in your body, especially the bit you are worried about. I notice every chest sensation now....many of my 'heart' sensations turn out to be wind. But if I wasn't so focussed on my heart, I wouldn't even notice them.