PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin for agoraphobia?

blackberry
18-01-14, 04:15
Hi, has anyone tried Pregabalin for agoraphobia?
My Dr has suggested that I start this new medication at the beginning of February as I have tried... Citalopram, fluoxetine, venlafaxine and Mirtazapine and none of the above have worked for me. I have also spent an immense amount of money on counselling, EMDR, CBT, hypnotherapy and psychotherapy in the last ten months as the waiting list in my area is over 12 months and that hasn't worked either.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

hanshan
18-01-14, 05:14
It isn't specifically licensed for agoraphobia (it's licensed for generalised anxiety), but it's certainly worth a try.

Read the posts on NMP about dosage and potential side effects (generally these fade after a week or two, but some persist). The posts are mostly helpful, but don't get put off by anything you read.

Good luck, and stay in touch.

SarahH
18-01-14, 11:17
I would say try it.:)

Mark13
20-01-14, 18:16
Given that your GP has suggested it, I'd certainly give it a try if I were you.

I was on it for 4 months and found it had few major side effects (although your experience may differ of course).

blackberry
21-01-14, 18:17
Thank you all for the encouragement. I am going to try them. Anything has got to be better than living in my own little bubble while the world passes me by!

hanshan
22-01-14, 13:48
Good luck! Keep us posted.

blackberry
13-02-14, 18:42
Hi all, I finally picked up the tablets from the pharmacy last night. I did the worse thing ever and read the side effects. It was almost an A3 double sided sheet!
I'm now terrified to take it as f I do have side effects I will have to go to the hospital. How can I do that being agoraphobic? And the nearest hospital is almost 20 miles away.
Help!

hanshan
14-02-14, 02:15
Every medication has side effects. Most of those listed you can completely ignore as they are rare, and not actually shown to be caused by the medication.

Common temporary effects of pregabalin are slight dizziness, sleepiness, and some lack of coordination. Usually they are very mild and go after a short period. None of them require going to a hospital, and home is a good place to be.

Don't be afraid, as you may find pregabalin beneficial.

blackberry
14-02-14, 07:25
Thank you for that hanshan. I still haven't taken one. I'm going to try and take one today

hanshan
14-02-14, 09:02
Good luck with it, and don't be afraid. I first took pregabalin just over three years ago, and it had an almost immediate improvement in my life.

blackberry
02-03-14, 20:20
Hi all, I'm on day 13 (I think!) of pregabalin. I did manage to take one and things actually seem to be getting better and it seemed to work really quickly for me. I'm on 75mg morning and night. I'm seeing the Dr this Friday so will keep you all updated. Thank you for the support

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Sorry, forgot to add the anxiety seems a lot better. A bit like it's still there but I can talk myself out of a full blown anxiety attack and to be honest it feels like my thoughts have been given a holiday if that makes sense?!

blackberry
10-03-14, 20:52
Hi all, I'm on day 19 now and feeling good. Seen my dr on Friday and she increased the pregabalin to 150mg twice a day. Got to go back in two weeks. My anxiety is low and my mind is clear for on e! Hope everyone else is doing ok

SarahH
11-03-14, 08:30
That's great news... it may be that 300mgs a day is the correct dose for you......:D

hanshan
13-03-14, 14:39
Hi Blackberry,

Sounds great that you are feeling better. More power to you.

I understand your comment about your thoughts being given a holiday, but it's not a holiday - if all goes well, they've been set free, permanently.