PDA

View Full Version : Changing chat room server

Rennie1989
18-01-14, 12:09
Hiya

As we all know as soon as Java wants an update it's the start of a battle! I don't know about anybody else but it takes me at least a day to fix it. Venusbluejeans's last post on fixing the problem was a life saver!

I was wondering if the chat room will change servers at some point? Having to keep the page up to stay logged into chat can get annoying and the Java updates are getting ridiculous. It would definitely relieve one anxiety in our lives :yesyes:

venusbluejeans
18-01-14, 12:24
Heya Rennie,

A couple of things on this one, unfortunately it isn't as easy as just swapping, the chat rooms cost money and as you know NMP is a free site so Nic pays for it out of her own pocket and a few donations, so any change would cost Nic money :(

Hopefully the 'fix' for Java now covers the chat room if Java now updates again, so hopefilly it won't be a problem now (fingers crossed)

nomorepanic
18-01-14, 12:58
We will look into new chat rooms but we need to make sure it has the moderation facility as we use that for quiz nights.

The current chat room cost over $300 when we got it.

When I find something suitable I will do a post for donations to see if people can help pay for it.

PanchoGoz
18-01-14, 15:15
I really hate java
It just doesn't work. Hundreds of useless updates yet there's always something online or in a program that brings up an error message because of it.

Rennie1989
20-01-14, 11:29
Thanks for the responses.

I had no idea how much the chat room cost, that's ludicrous! I will be happy to donate towards a new chat room as and when one is found.

ricardo
25-01-14, 18:03
Is that 300 dollars or £Sterling, Nic.?

I know just a few people who just get scared or put off when they try and enter the Chat Room and subsequently won't take the risk which is understandable especially if they are of a nervous disposition.

I go on it but I have never ever got on first time of asking. I am willing to donate,not for myself but for all the others who enjoy the facilities.

venusbluejeans
25-01-14, 18:58
US Dollars Ronny...... they have gone up quite a bit since then as well :weep:

Ps Nic has gone out so I will answer for her.

pps. Please don't tell me off if I have the info wrong Nic lol

nomorepanic
25-01-14, 19:09
Yes dollars - thanks Emmz.

The one we are looking at at the moment will be £211 but I will do a separate post about that as we need to know if anyone has used it or not.

asus15
30-01-14, 00:21
That is exactly what i've been saying too... £211? christ no... IRC is open source... more flexible and generally supported on any hardware... pc's, tablets, phones... everything really. Also with IRC you would not need to keep the browser window and chat window open, it would be all inside your browser nice and neatly.

:yesyes:

nomorepanic
30-01-14, 00:43
I need to see a demo of it really cos last time I used it I didn't like it

asus15
30-01-14, 03:26
I will set one up for you tomorrow if you like?:bighug1:

nomorepanic
31-01-14, 21:33
We need it running on our server so we can store chat logs and control who can access it etc

Thanks for letting me know about it but it is not suitable for NMP

asus15
07-02-14, 11:16
Any news on this? I'd love to use the chat room but linux hates java :(

nomorepanic
07-02-14, 13:59
We were hoping for suggestions from members about other chat rooms they use but sadly no replies as yet.

nomorepanic
08-02-14, 18:26
I just went to wrongplanet.net's chat and it is horrible!

We need to have full control over who goes in chat so we have to integrate it with the forum as well to ensure they are a member and have done a post on the forum and been a member for 5 days.

I have no idea how you do that with IRC chat.

I did consider things.

AuntieMoosie
08-02-14, 21:06
Just a suggestion here, so please don't jump on me :)

But, have you ever thought of just moving onto a free website?

I'm on forums on Yuku and Aimoo, they're both pretty good I think, and along with the forum, you get a chat room.

I know that initially it would be a lot of work getting moved, but at least it would cut the costs right down, anyway, just a thought :)

nomorepanic
08-02-14, 22:35
Hi Moosie

We need to host the chat room so we have control over it and can store chat logs on our server. Not sure the free ones will do that.

AuntieMoosie
09-02-14, 00:25
Oh yes, I see Nic.

I'm not sure if you would be able to do that on the free ones either, the forums that I'm on are all locked and private, therefore we don't have to be so careful, but, yes, I do understand what you're saying. :)