PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm immune to antibiotics

Mondie
18-01-14, 17:28
Let me first start by saying that I have terrible teeth, I do look after them but not a well as I should I guess.

Well I have had numerous infections, abscesses and extractions over the years with the last extraction only 2 weeks ago. The last 2 extractions hurt beyond belief as the tooth was still infected as the anaesthetic didn't work 100%

The infections lingered despite numerous courses of antibiotics. Well now I have an infected flap of skin that is covering my partially ruptured wisdom tooth. The pain is unbelievable and I'm popping strong painkillers all day and night. I've been given some more antibiotics and I'm 24 hours in, but I'm scared they won't work and that I'm immune and i'll be left with this pain and infection until the tooth can be pulled, which will hurt like the others no doubt.

Sorry for rambling, I guess my question is what happens if I'm immune to anti biotics and I'm never going to be rid of infections?

Thanks for reading

MrsCav
18-01-14, 17:32
Sometimes you need a couple of courses of Anti B's to deal with tooth abscess. Doesn't mean your immune to anti b's, just that you need a bit more. Like a chest infection, that can sometimes need a couple of courses.

I'm like you, I have terrible teeth, I've looked after them the best I can but I've had some many pulled, I just want the few remaining I have pulled so I can have dentures and never ever have to experience toothache ever again.

Mondie
18-01-14, 20:54
Thanks for replying, really appreciate it.

Mondie
20-01-14, 17:50
Well I'm on my last day of antibiotics and I'm still in pain, popping heavy duty painkillers 24/7. Guess I am immune...scared as to what will happen now as obviously I can't get rid if the infection.

almamatters
20-01-14, 18:25
I am prone to abscesses and infections (just recovered from another one recently) I did have an abscess a few years ago which needed 12 days of antibiotics to get rid of it. You might have to go back to the dentist for another course.

Althea
20-01-14, 18:52
Mondie, you can't really become straight-out immune across the board to antibiotics. What generally happens is that a doctor or dentist first prescribes an inexpensive antibiotic that's well-tolerated and generally successful for an infection in this particular location. However, different strains of bacteria have different levels of response to different antibiotics and with a non-threatening infection like the one you describe they're not going to culture to identify the strain, so sometimes the antibiotic they first prescribe isn't a good enough fit to see the infection off. What usually then happens is they prescribe another one, and that one works fine.

None of this means antibiotics don't work on you; it means this particular antibiotic didn't perform well against this particular bacteria. It's kind of like trying the wrong key to open your front door--it doesn't mean your door can't be opened.