PDA

View Full Version : University nerves

anxietyhudson
18-01-14, 20:19
I'm only just doing my GCSE's but university is playing on my mind. I want nothing more than to enjoy university and learn and get a degree for my future but my anxiety is holding me back so much. I wan't to go to a good university but i cant handle large places, or lots of people so how am i going to cope. I'm afraid ill have no friends in uni because i wont go out or socialize because im afraid but i really want to. Im so stressed out i have to think about it this early so that i can get my head around the idea.:weep:[

LunaLiuna
18-01-14, 20:31
I'm in exactly the same spot, I had to leave secoundry school and do GCSE's at home because I couldn't handle loads of people, I passed though and I'm now doing an online college called NISAI :) I'm doing my A level's there whilst I work on my anxiety. Hopefully by the time I finish them I'll be better, so I can move onto uni :)

just_do_it
18-01-14, 20:46
I'm only just doing my GCSE's but university is playing on my mind. I want nothing more than to enjoy university and learn and get a degree for my future but my anxiety is holding me back so much. I wan't to go to a good university but i cant handle large places, or lots of people so how am i going to cope. I'm afraid ill have no friends in uni because i wont go out or socialize because im afraid but i really want to. Im so stressed out i have to think about it this early so that i can get my head around the idea.:weep:[

hiya darlin :) first of all let me tell you, EVERYBODY who is in your year at school is stressing about university, i mean whats there not to stress about? all your thinking of it that final hurdle, the last piece of the puzzle, the most important part of your education that will secure your destiny. well let me tell you, i was exactly the same as you. i was scared i would embarress myself infront of the whole lecture theatre, that i would panic, that i would be forced into doing presentations and that i would meet no friends. But in reality, university was much less stressful than school, seriously. im in year 2 now, and i love it. you have you forbid yourself from saying the words "i cant" because you couldnt be further from the truth. You have so much potential, your young, inteligent and the fact your thinking about university at this stage is brilliant. You worry because you care so much about your future :)! just remember, dont think of university as something that makes you scared, that is just normal nerves from fear of the unknown, and its in your DNA to feel like you do. time spent worrying is wasted time, and you can work on this by realising that in fact, what your feeling is a small amount of nerves, and a large amount of excitment :) xxxxx

AnxietySufferer
19-01-14, 16:29
Hiya!

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

my bad.. accidently clicked enter haha. Anyhow, I am in my last year of A Levels at the moment and am hoping to go on to uni, but there is NO pressure. If your like me (I really want to go to uni but feel as though i need more time to get my anxiety sorted), you can take a gap year, (I have still applied to go this september but am planning to defer my application), im planning on using this time to improve my confidence.. doing a little bit of travelling starting small, that kind of thing! I feel as though having a year out will make me feel a lot more ready for uni. Dont forget, your in year 11 right now, the thought of uni would make you nervous, but your unlikely to feel the same way in two years time.. and if you do you havw options! you can take a year out.. or you could go to college and do a foundation degree to get you more prepared for actually going to uni! seriously anxiety doesnt have to stop you :) there is loads of things you can do if you feel ready, but it is completely pointless worrying about somthing that you dont have to think of for the next 2 years!! XXXXX