PDA

View Full Version : Is this panic or something else?

BCFC
19-01-14, 10:38
Good day to you.
My name is James and I live in the West Country UK, I'm 45. I have suffered anxiety for as long as I can remember. It started in school assemblies when I would be stood in the middle of a long line of primary school children. The room would be hot and there was little fresh air. Whilst sitting I was fine, but then the headmaster would instruct us to stand whilst we sung 'All things bright and beautiful' or some other popular song of the day.
I would suddenly become acutely aware of my being in the middle of loads of bodies and a sudden and intense rushing feeling would zoom through my body from toes to head and back and forth again and again. I would want to contract and centre myself, but there was nothing to hold on to. Wave after wave of a feeling I can only describe as the type of out of control feeling you might get whilst plummeting down a roller-coaster track. My head would feel full and pounding and my legs jelly-like. Rather embarrassingly I would grab the trouser legs of the pupils beside me to 'centre' or 'earth' myself in an attempt to end the rushing. It might stop for a moment, but as you can imagine the pupils next to me were not that pleased and I would endure a sharp dig to my ribs. I felt weak and embarrassed and sometimes would try to cover up by asking a question such as 'how did Chelsea do at the weekend"? as though I was grabbing their trouser leg to gain their attention.
In time I told my mother about this and she asked that I be kept out of assembly for a while. Eventually I returned and sat at the end of the line at the feet of my teacher. This helped.
Later in life I would encounter the same physical reaction in places such as the front passenger seat of the car or when trapped in the inside seat of a bus. I experienced intense feelings when learning to drive (a stressful time anyway).
Nowadays my main areas of concern include standing in the middle of a room whilst someone approaches me and having nothing to centre myself to, moving from the front of a queue to a counter where someone waits to greet me and when I need to speak to a class of students or staff and find myself in the middle of the floor with loads of faces watching me. My physical reaction in such instances is awkward and I am convinced the other makes a judgement that I am somehow acting weird and out of control.
Physically, I cannot seem to maintain eye contact, I bend forward, turn away a little and my eyes water. I also lose any train of thought and become temporarily confused. If I can 'centre' myself in anyway, it helps immediately and I regain a control over the physical symptoms. At times that's enough, whilst at other times repeated attacks occur.
I have read a lot about Agoraphobia and panic, but no one seems to share the exact same experiences as me and so I am left wondering if I have something different. I am convinced I, and not the situation is causing the panicky feelings, because sometimes I maybe so distracted by the event I'm in that I do not think about my physiology and nothing untoward happens.
Is there anyone out there who has this set of reactions? If so I would love to hear from you and perhaps we can exchange strategies.
Thanks for listening.

teej
21-01-14, 16:40
:welcome:

Panic can bring on a broad range of reactions.

When panicking your upper brain is pushing your lower brain into a fight or flight reaction - something we don't often have to deal with in these modern times. I know there's a freeze reaction - when I panic really bad I just want to curl up in a ball. Maybe this is similar?

Have you spoken to anyone about seeking therapy to help you with this?

BCFC
23-01-14, 22:28
Hi and thanks so much for your reply.:)
Yes I think I share your curling up into a ball reaction. I have been experimenting recently when facing other people head on. For instance I was in a number of queues recently and when I needed to make the short journey from the end of the queue to the counter my legs go almost paralysed and I have to really concentrate to move them. I have been trying to maintain eye-contact and speak without sounding like I have had a stroke. It's all quite quick and I usually manage to get back to normal after a few seconds.
Bizarrely, I am actually quite knowledgeable about anxiety and have trained as a counsellor and have helped many people overcome their anxiety. I have also learnt to manage my own social anxieties quite well and now hold quite a responsible position in education despite enduring a long history of fear and generalised anxiety.
It's just that I can't seem to manage these physical reactions which are so strong and don't seem to match some of the reactions of other people who experience panic type feelings.
How does panic effect you?