PDA

View Full Version : Citalopam + weight gain

Helenas2
16-11-06, 21:34
HI
I gained 2 stone on Citalopram - (has made me even more depressed) My gp told me It takes a year for your body to flush out Citalopram and only then would the weight start to drop off.
Been clean a month - have been on a diet for the past year! cant loose a pound!
Does anbody have any simular experiences - any advise? It's really getting me down I feel like Vanessa Feltz!

yorkylover
16-11-06, 23:43
Hi Helen I found I gained wieght on citalopram.I saw a nutritionist,and she helped me.I lost a stone.I stopped having tea and coffee,sugar,biscuits and cakes.I cut out bread to,red meats.Now I allow myself bread,but limit myself.And I have biscuits and cake in very small amounts.Im just carefull, I dont diet.I eat lots of white meat and veg,fruit.And drink lots of water.
I probably havent been much help to you,but this is how I did it.Iv still got wieght to lose but it seems to have just come to a stand still now.;)

Ellen XX

Helenas2
18-11-06, 12:28
Thanks Ellen to your response.
I ambecoming a bit obsessed at the moment with the whole weight issue.
I eat well, I dont eat red meat or chicken - so my diet consists of fish, vegetables pasta rice lots of fruit etc - so relatively healthy - i can go a month without cutting out most carbs eating no chocs etc and being really good and i wont even loose 1ib - its seems to off just stuck.
Can I ask a couple of questions please - did you come off medication before the weight started to drop off? if so how long after did it start to drop off? You have been really helpful least i know that i can loose some! somehow?
Helena

yorkylover
18-11-06, 16:34
Hi,I was still on the meds when I lost wieght.But the diet the nutritionist put me on was really drastic and very hard to stick to.I wouldnt do it again.My wieght is at a stand still now!!!!You seem to eat really healthy.We need to exercise to.But I never have the motivation to do so.Luckily I have dogs who need walking.;)

Ellen XX

pipsie
11-10-08, 13:00
Hi, I have gained quite a bit of weight in the last few months despite my diet or exercise levels not changing, and have only just thought about a possible link to being on citalopram. I have been very over weight in the past and woulod hate to get like that again. I'm due for a review on citalopram with the doc so I may ask to stsrt coming off it! I do feel better anxiety wise but gaining too much weight would make me depressed! What do people think please? Pipsie

Franz
11-10-08, 13:14
I put on weight on citalopram and clomipramine. The only way of losing it was to reduce my calorie intake and exercise more.

Forget crash dieting. I tried it and within 3 months of stopping had put almost all my weight on again. Your body "panics" at the sudden drop in in energy intake and your metabolism slows down, so in fact you start to put on weight more easily than before you went on the diet. (This isn't permanent though and your metabolism readjusts once you're eating more normally again.)

I've managed to keep my weight down simply by eating a bit less. It was a slowish process and at first I felt hungry a lot of the time but I don't any more.

sheena
11-10-08, 13:17
I was put on citalopram when I first became ill. I lost a stone and a half as I was so ill at first.

I am now on sequoel and I think, with the combination of the citalopram have increased my weight. I have put a stone back on and find that I cannot eat as much as used to, to sustain my weight. I seem to be still putting on a 1lb a week.

It is definately the drugs as I also walk my dog twice a day for exercise.

Sheena

bab
12-10-08, 15:04
Hi there

I used to be a size 8 and since going on ssri's I am now an 18 - I can lose a bit from dieting but only a stone at most - noone believes me when i blame meds

pipsie
12-10-08, 18:15
Does anyone know why we gain weight on these drugs, it's really starting to get me down now, gonna see gp tomorrow, Pipsie

Cathy V
12-10-08, 19:10
Pipsie, this is a question i asked not so long ago myself, as ive put on 2st in the last year and im convinced its meds (i take propranolol, and they supposedly slow down your system) Nobody really answered the question for me though so maybe its down to the docs to tell us why, but getting them to admit to it is the first battle! :)

bab
12-10-08, 22:40
David, apparantley Prozac is the only one that doesnt put weight on and can have the opposite effect - if only that med agreed with me - lol

its so depressing that it has the weight effect

sheena
12-10-08, 23:53
A.
Apparently the drugs mess with you metabolism and slows it down. I eat even less than I use to and still manage to put approximately a 1lb of weight on a week.

Sheena

bab
13-10-08, 20:54
I am like the before and after pics for weight watchers - only the pics r the wrong way around!

pipsie
14-10-08, 06:05
Does the weight come off once you stop taking citalopram? Pipsie

andrea568
26-10-08, 20:06
I've been on Citalopram for about three years now and I've put on almost three stone, I've been saying its the drug now for ages and my GP basically laughed at me, then I saw a locum GP and he stated that Citalopram definitely makes you put on weight.

bab
28-10-08, 10:19
how bloody depressing - i wish i could have a lot of lipo

roosey
28-10-08, 23:47
Well you know--- when i was taking propanalol for the first time and cipramil i put on loads of weight , told the doctor it was the meds.. no comment from him.. anyway last year i lost 21 lbs and kept it off for a year.. well now i am putting on weight again ,, and i dont think it is the drugs .. I think its when i start to feel better in myself, my appitite imroves and i also eat more choc---------so i dont think it is the drugs at all. I think it is how we are feeling in ourselves, and we just like to blame the drugs for the weight gain.. Well thats my excuse anyway!!!!

cbodard
03-11-08, 20:00
I have put on a stone and a half since starting on citalopram 18 months ago- I've also been doing a lot of comfort eating which of course it mainly to blame but I'm not sure if the excessive cravings for sweet stuff is due to the citalopram or if it isn't connected. Has anyone else found that they 'need' sweet stuff when they have taken citalopram? I have found it much harder to drop the weight since taking citalopram even when i am able to be 'good' with my diet. Can't wait to come off the tabs...

Pebbles
04-11-08, 14:06
Dod u actualy know chickens not fatty its the chicken skin? thats fatty. CHICKENmeats actually low fat

loobylooz
07-11-08, 11:21
I've only just found this website after years of suffering and trying all sorts of remedies.....but recently gave in and went to the doctor who put me on Citalopram....i've been on it for approx 2 months now. The first 3 weeks were the hardest!! But i've also gained weight....previous symptoms have also come back from when I previously on a/depress; spots, excessive night sweating, daily headaches, all over body itching, recurrent thrush, bv and cystitis.....These are some of things that get me down!!

purplecloth
28-06-09, 18:31
I'm convinced that Citalporam is stopping my weight loss.

I've been on it before and I put on weight every time.

I now have a gastric band but had to go back on the tablets about 3 months ago and my weight loss as literally stopped.

I tried cutting back my dose but I'm just a mess again.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

Hereford Al
28-06-09, 22:03
I have not gained much weight at all since starting on 20mg 3 months ago. Maybe 1lb or 2lbs but nothing significant no matter what I eat. Which is a shame really as I am skinny as a rake at 5ft7 and 9st.

sparklygem
22-08-09, 21:39
I am currently on 20mg Citalopram, i have been on them for nearly 6 weeks and are still waiting for them to work.

This is the 2nd time i have been on them, the first time i was on them was when i was on the pill 'noriday', the 2nd time and current time i am currently on them whilst being in the first month of having the 'implanon' implant, i have put on more than a stone in weight despite being on a fitness programme through the doctors and going to my local gym at least twice a week, i feel worse than when i first started taking the pills.....i dont know if this is just a barrier i have to get through, but i am pretty fed up with how rubbish i feel

hallc
08-10-09, 23:43
My name is Christina. I was prescribed Citalopram 2007, since then I have gained 1 1/2 stones and have been struggling to lose weight. I have been exercising but lately had to reduce the amount of activities I do due to the fact that my neck went into spasm. Having read other articles, I strongly feel that it is the meds. Please advise what alternatives can I take for my headaces. I will be visiting my gp soon to try and come off the meds, but I am a bit scared.

suzy-sue
08-10-09, 23:52
Ive put on 1stone since i started on it .But I had lost a stone before ,so im back to normal.I do have to watch what i eat now,which is something I never had to do before A lot of people gain weight on ssri,s.Were you put on Cit for headaches ? Walking is one of the best forms of excercise ,briskly if you are up to it . Sue x

mum to three
09-10-09, 11:16
Hi
This thread has got me a bit worried as i have lost a stone in just over a month on cita. I was blaming the meds but as everyone seems to be putting weight on im starting to wonder, take care all x

chickpea
09-10-09, 20:33
I've lost half a stone in the last 8 weeks or so - 5 of which I've been on citalopram. Not good, as I am now down to 7.5 stone and look like a bag of bones.
My problem is that I have totally lost my appetite since starting on the pills - not sure if it's the actual medication, or the fact that I can't eat when I'm anxious.
Either way, I hate it - I don't even want chocolate, and all my clothes are hanging off me.:weep:

mum to three
10-10-09, 18:02
Hiya
I know how you feel i need a new wardrobe as all my clothes are hanging off me and im am quite small so i cant afford to lose anymore weight. I have to agree since starting cita my appetite has not been as good but i dont think its been that bad to cause me to lose so much weight. take care x

arethaire
26-09-10, 10:33
David, apparantley Prozac is the only one that doesnt put weight on and can have the opposite effect - if only that med agreed with me - lol

its so depressing that it has the weight effect

I was on Prozac (Fluoxetine) for 7 years & I went from a size 14 to a 18/20 & gained about 3 stone!!!
I have now changed to Citalopram, in the last few days. But after reading this it looks as if the weight gain issue, is going to be the same :(
I did read somewhere that 'Wellbutrin' doesn't have weight gain as a side effect.
Cath x

debs71
26-09-10, 12:55
When I stopped Cipralex before I very quickly saw a decrease in the 'moon face' I had developed which I am stone cold convinced was meds related.

Now sadly I'm back on it so that's all gone down the swanny again....moon face here i come.....:weep:

suzy-sue
26-09-10, 14:13
Ive put on over a stone on it ..Its horrible ive never had to watch what I eat before in my life and I dont eat rubbish and fast food .Ive gone up a size and just hope it comes off when its out of my system .Sue

yorkylover
26-09-10, 23:09
When I started citalopram I went off my food for a few weeks.But not now!!!!!!!!:ohmy:I crave sweet stuff all the time.My gp told me I need to reduce the med's to help me lose wieght!!!!!!!!!:scared15:I had blood tests and I have been told I have a very slow metabolism,is this due to the meds as well,I don't know, but I was told most antidepressants cause wieght gain its one of the bad side affect's of them:shrug:

I can eat a good dinner and then want something else,sweet of course!!!!:wacko:

RichW
27-09-10, 05:41
Hi

I have gained a massive amount of wieght in the past few months since being on Citalopram. I do eat like a horse and bodybuild, so in my case this is mostly good. Although I've notice my tummy is getting a wee bit on the wobbly side so I plan to start hitting the cardio hard from October onwards. I'll let you know if I manage to lose anything around the waistline.

Remember, when it comes to food and exercise: discipline, discipline, discipline!

All the best

Rich

anxiouschick
27-09-10, 20:40
I'm sick to death of the weight gain. I want to be well, but don't want to be fat either.

I'm doing loads of exercise at the mo and really watching what I eat, but I can only seem to lose a few pounds. Just keep hovering around the same weight.

I'm 4.5 stone heavier than when I started these tablets nearly 5 yrs ago.

trooper
01-10-10, 04:25
Ive got a nice little rubber tyre appearing around my waste and some mini moobs, its great for the self esteem.

I'm considering lazer lypo. :p

suzy-sue
02-10-10, 10:57
Well the day didnt exactly start on a good note today .I did my weekly weigh in and low and behold ..YET ANOTHER 2LBS ..of increased weight .:mad:.I have been on this for 2years ,gone from 35mg down to 20mg .Surely i should be starting to lose it not put more on ? I dont eat much and keep pretty active .I feel sorry for anyone who isnt thin to start with .Im going to cut out certain foods this week and see what difference it makes .Wish me luck .. sue

jaded jean
03-10-10, 20:24
I was nigh on 5 stone overweight when I started a/d's. I lost 3 stone in just over a month with
1 chlorpromazine
2 mirtazapine 15mg initially then up to 30mg
3 citalopram 20mg
some days I iam very disciplined in fact I feel nauseous around food and it wont bother me. other days I eat like a bloody horse and stack up on the sweetie stuff. its gross I am disgusted with myself. I had a group blood test done and found- hey cholesterol 4.2 -diabetes -no risk- iron levels fine so what happens now . my job consists of walking . Still I have noticed that the wiastline is joining the hips as in no difference in size:weep: god what a life.

RichW
04-10-10, 02:28
Is this all related to the possibility that citalopram might be slowing down the metabolism - I wonder if any studies have been done in this regard? Perhaps an increase in meal frequency and decrease in portion size might help speed it back up again - who knows? Has anybody here consulted a dietician in this regard?

Cheers

Rich

P.S. Hugs for Jean - sorry you're feeling down love.

trooper
04-10-10, 19:06
I have def put on fat, not sure if my weight has gone up, I don't own scales.

I am sure it is because your metobolic rates slows down, although I do find that I want to eat alot and I seem to crave fatty foods. I don't always give into these cravings, but I guess I am looking for little highs from foods, which you can get from sugar and fats etc.

So the combination of a slower metabolic rate and eating more, and of that food some of it being not so good, then I'm not surprised I am putting on weight.

I am seriously considering lazer lipo :o

jaded jean
04-10-10, 21:12
Hi Trooper.
I am the same- I look for the 'lift' from the sweet stuff its awful. fatty stuff not so much but I can eat man size portions which is baaaad!!
I am actually going off some foods tho , dont know if anybody else here has ??
my sweet consumption rate has rocketed , I did wonder was it because I was focussing on something and it is a pleasant distraction?? and I didnt feel scared etc who knows . I am starting on the 'bulk up with the fruit route' again to lower my cravings. O h and isnt it typical the shops have got those bloody family size tins of Quality Street in eh? just my favourite............ on offer!!! AArrgghh.

RichW
05-10-10, 00:23
my sweet consumption rate has rocketed

LOL - I can relate to this. I have found that it's almost cyclic though, in as much as the sweet cravings come and go. Man-sized portions, what are those? I've been dealing strictly with elephantine portions!

Recently I've discovered that the more healthy food I eat, the more healthy food I want to eat and I'm not feeling as tempted by the sweet stuff as I used to be - going with plenty of fruit during the day I think is a smart move, although be very careful because fruit also contains large amounts of sugar...

Will we ever win?

Peace.

Rich

jaded jean
05-10-10, 06:31
Hi Richw.
No we wont win - the body is very cunning!!! I agree with some fruit having the higher suger content but as it is a higher fibre thing I am looking for as well I dont mind. Elephantine portions??? McDonalds do them dont they ??lol
Jean

trooper
08-10-10, 22:32
Well the day didnt exactly start on a good note today .I did my weekly weigh in and low and behold ..YET ANOTHER 2LBS ..of increased weight .:mad:.I have been on this for 2years ,gone from 35mg down to 20mg .Surely i should be starting to lose it not put more on ? I dont eat much and keep pretty active .I feel sorry for anyone who isnt thin to start with .Im going to cut out certain foods this week and see what difference it makes .Wish me luck .. sue

Don't weigh yourself. I haven't weighed myself for about three years. :)

I don't think what you eat has a massive input, its well documented side effect and everyone else here is experiencing it for you. Its something to do with the drugs effect on the body.

What might help is eating little and often, the body actually uses quite a lot of calories to digest food.

RichW
09-11-10, 23:06
Nope, still going up!

Fatboy over and out

Rich

YvonneBelle
12-11-10, 00:44
Since starting Cit I've lost about 7lb (over 5 months) which isn't much and given what I've been doing (moving house and eating on the fly) I would expect to have lost a lot more than that, but now I've stuck there. I was a bit overweight to begin with so I've been trying to lose a bit more and have been keeping active but the biscuit tin keeps calling me! I sometimes eat half a pack in one go... :blush:

My appetite was a little bit reduced to begin with but now it's sort of levelled off to normal but I can't seem to do without regular sugary food like biscuits and chocolate.

Ah well..... better a few pounds extra than lying in bed all day. :winks:

hotwings
05-02-11, 00:12
I am 39 years of age and went to the doctors when i felt that i was no longer in control of me anymore and was some screaming woman at the kids, husband was not eating, sleeping etc etc the list is endless. The Doctor perscribed Citalopam the first 20mg made me feel so much better i could see things more clearly without the need to stress out. Over the next few months this decreased until i am now on 40mg and have been for the past 2 years. I was a fitness fanatic, completed numerous triathlons and a healthy size 10 upon taking Citalopam. I go to the gym 4 times a week. I do like a Larger at the weekends which i always did prior to taking Citalopom, and since taking Cital i have gained 1 1/2 stone and my size 12 are begining to get tight. All the weight is round my stomach and love handles. I do eat a healthy diet. This is now getting me so down in the dumps as ok i am not some raving loony anymore and i know i should be grateful that this drug has helped me so much but i just want to get back to how i was (maybe i am over everything and need to come of them now if i am thinking like this) After Reading these posts i am seriously considering just coming of them or halving the tablet for a few weeks until i get to zero. As if this carries on and how ridiculous this sounds i will need to up my tablets to 60mg so i don't care what i look like.

Clare:unsure:

heavenly
05-02-11, 01:11
I have put on a stone and a half since starting on citalopram 18 months ago- I've also been doing a lot of comfort eating which of course it mainly to blame but I'm not sure if the excessive cravings for sweet stuff is due to the citalopram or if it isn't connected. Has anyone else found that they 'need' sweet stuff when they have taken citalopram?

Yep, me. First 2 weeks on Cit, I lost 8lbs, due to heightened anxiety but 3 months in, I am on a dose that suits me (25mg), and I have put that weight back on plus another stone. :ohmy: I was thinking of taking Chromium Piccolate, supposed to regulate your blood sugar levels?

JaneC
05-02-11, 01:40
I was thinking of taking Chromium Piccolate, supposed to regulate your blood sugar levels?

I don't want to put you off but TBH I'd recommend looking into the possible side effects before you try it Heavenly x

suzy-sue
05-02-11, 22:22
We all seem to have the same problem around our middle ..:weep:I was a size 10 and now am 12 ..I did go down to an 8 when I was ill .Too skinny tho .I feel horrible as I cant wear tight things anymore .I get sugar cravings and never did before I went on this ..I do try hard tho not to eat much .Im going on a strict diet and see what happens ,,If this doesnt go im gonna have lippo ...:roflmao:sue x

Worried_Male
11-12-11, 14:53
Yeah i have started gaining a lot of weight and Citalopam must be the culprit.

I have gained 12-13 lbs in the last 6 weeks alone. I have just started weight lifting again so maybe this could be contributing as well.

Really hope i don't put on too much more as i'm 205lbs as it is!

oldtime
12-12-11, 18:52
I've gained 2 stone since starting AD's. Is it the drugs that lead to increase weight, I think not. My theory is that as you start to recover your appetite improves and you eat more, you are also more relaxed so you burn less calories.