PDA

View Full Version : Steroids for asthma

Laura1989
19-01-14, 23:45
Hi all,

I halve recently been diagnosed with asthma, and have been given the highest dose of steroids possible to take for 7 days. I started them on Friday morning , and within a day my old feelings of anxiety have come flooding back :(

I can't sleep and when I do I have horrible nightmares so I am now scared of going to sleep.

I don't know what to do, my asthma nurse is ringing me on Tuesday to see how I'm doing, do I wait till then and talk to her or do I ring the doctors tomorrow and try and get an appointment?

Rennie1989
20-01-14, 11:04
The drug used for asthma causes your body to release adrenaline as it helps to open your airwaves (fight or flight response) so it affects other parts of the body too, like raised heart rate, dilated pupils etc.

It is completely normal to feel anxious from asthma medication for that reason but if you need further reassurance you can always contact your nurse or GP.

Laura1989
21-01-14, 07:51
Thank you, I decided to wait until my nurse rings me this evening and discuss it with her!
Although after reading your message last night, it definitely put my mind at ease, so thank you :)!