PDA

View Full Version : Been on Flouxetine over a year

Sus
16-11-06, 22:57
Hello,

Just replied to a posting about Prozac and it got me thinking. I have been taking Prozac since September 2005, at first it was every day, then after a few months every 2/3 days. I dont take it very much at all now, maybe once a week or once a fortnight. Do you think I would be able to come off it altogether now?? I dont mind taking it and I dont seem to have side effects. The only thing I worry is what if I come off it altogether and everything it got rid of comes back!! Any advice??

Sus, x

Nothing is predestined: The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings.
Ralph Blum

nomorepanic
16-11-06, 23:00
Umm I am confused. Prozac is not a drug you take on and off when you remember or feel like it.

You are supposed to take it every day. Taking it once a week or fortnight will have no effect on you whatsoever.

If you are only taking it occasionally then you are already off it surely.

I stopped it one day with no hassle.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Sus
16-11-06, 23:07
I have been taking it and then I stop for a while then take it again when I feel things get on top of me. Um, maybe I shouldnt have done that. But I suppose I am off it cause just now havent taken it for 3/4 weeks.

Nothing is predestined: The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings.
Ralph Blum

nomorepanic
16-11-06, 23:10
It will have no effect taking it like that cos it is an anti-depressant not like valium etc.

You may as well stop it. You are getting a placebo effect that is all.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Sus
16-11-06, 23:15
when I stopped taking it i felt better and then i dont know if taking it since it made a difference. I just took it and hoped it did. I guess this means my fear of the panic etc returning when i stop taking it isnt going to happen. Cause I stopped taking it and it didnt, hurrah!!

Ralph Blum

Ma Larkin
17-11-06, 13:30
Hi Sus, I stopped taking Proxac last week (so far so good). My GP says it takes a while to get out of your system and my fear is the same as yours "what if everything comes back". Panic attacks scared the life out of me. I haven't had one since taking Prozac. I hope with all my heart that my symptoms don't come back, but if they do, I wouldn't think twice about going back on Prozac. Prozac is a med you should take on a daily basis, it's not like Diazepam, which starts working within the hour of you taking it. You can reduce Prozac to every other day, but it won't work if you take it now and again. I would say you are already off it if you've not taken it for a few weeks.

Les