PDA

View Full Version : Back to my old room?

LunaLiuna
20-01-14, 23:41
Hellooo everyone,

I need some advice, I moved into my brothers room a couple of months ago because I had a panic attack in my room which totally put me off, not only that. I live in the loft as well so it's not exactly the most convenient if I need help. I also have pretty bad HA at the moment and I'm just scared that if I go back into that room something may happen in my sleep and no one will hear.

Do I go back in?

I dislike staying in my brothers room because I feel like I'm annoying him and taking his personal space.

Thank you :)

lizzie29
21-01-14, 00:05
The longer the leave it the harder it'll be. We always associate panic with certain things, but really your room isn't going to make you any more likely to panic - it's the memories that you associate with it.

How long have you slept in the loft room and how long were you ok? I suspect it's a high percentage of the time you were there. Try to convince your brain of the positives!

LunaLiuna
21-01-14, 00:13
I only moved into this house like 4-5 months ago, I've been out of the room for the past 3 so yeah.

I just feel sooo alone, scared and helpless up there though, I don't want to end up having too stay in my brothers room either.

ah :l

PanchoGoz
21-01-14, 14:44
You will get used to it, the brain can get used to anything if you give it time. If you avoid you're room you are reinforcing that there is something wrong with it when there isn't.
Nothing is going to happen to you up there, don't train yourself to avoid it.

Rennie1989
21-01-14, 14:50
In hindsight there is nothing wrong with the room, it doesn't harm you, it's how you feel towards it. Maybe a redecoration may be in order to make you feel more comfortable.

LunaLiuna
21-01-14, 15:00
Thank you for the replies, I agree with the redecoration. it is a little empty up there.

I'm just scared that something could happen and no one will hear :l

Phuzella
21-01-14, 15:05
Bless ya, get some canvasses and create some wall art for your room? My house is full of my masterpieces, get some funny looks from visitors but hey...

LunaLiuna
21-01-14, 15:10
Yeah the only problem with that is my walls are slanted as my room is in the roof! (it got converted)

Maybe I could just draw/paint straight onto the walls :)

Phuzella
21-01-14, 15:12
Ooh that sounds like fun, now where did I put my paintbrushes lol

teej
21-01-14, 15:14
I changed the light fittings in our place for something much brighter. It really cheered the place up. Nothing worse than gloomy lights!

LunaLiuna
21-01-14, 15:17
To be honest it feels like the lights are too bright up there. Because of the slanted roof they pretty much face eachother!

Phuzella
21-01-14, 15:25
Get a bedside lamp and not use the main lights?

LunaLiuna
21-01-14, 15:28
I have one, I've just never used it haha :)

I think I'll try stay up there tonight and see how things go.

Phuzella
21-01-14, 15:34
Good plan:yesyes: You'll do just fine I'm sure :)

lizzie29
21-01-14, 21:35
Go for it! Isometimes find leaving a lamp on can be comforting, and makes you feel less alone.

Oosh
21-01-14, 21:45
Did exactly same thing, moving from the room I freaked out in.
Affected me very badly.
The other thing I remembered, the day and time it happened, to the minute.
That bothered me for years.

I say play a trick back on your mind.
Redecorate. You're going to create a new room, your sanctuary, what would this super chill out safe place room look like that makes you feel safe and confident ?
Do it.
Thank god for the sanctuary. That's what you'll say when the NEW ROOM is ready.
The old loft rooms gone.

LunaLiuna
21-01-14, 21:50
Did exactly same thing, moving from the room I freaked out in.
Affected me very badly.
The other thing I remembered, the day and time it happened, to the minute.
That bothered me for years.

I say play a trick back on your mind.
Redecorate. You're going to create a new room, your sanctuary, what would this super chill out safe place room look like that makes you feel safe and confident ?
Do it.
Thank god for the sanctuary. That's what you'll say when the NEW ROOM is ready.
The old loft rooms gone.

Thanks Oosh, I think I may do just that :)

Phuzella
22-01-14, 07:03
How did it go??

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 10:11
I didn't do it :(

Phuzella
22-01-14, 11:34
Oh bless ya, never mind. How about going in there for a little while each day to see how you can redecorate, or re organise? No pressure, just potter about in there for a bit.

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 11:37
Hmm, I may spend today tidying it a bit, and maybe move a couple of things around, and then see how I feel :)

teej
22-01-14, 11:41
If you can create some good experiences or memories in the space, then when you are feeling down in the same space, remember the good experiences and your brain should release some dopamine... at least that's what my therapist said!

Phuzella
22-01-14, 11:41
Good idea, I think tidying up is very therapeutic, lol I should really practice what I preach :roflmao:

pinksky
22-01-14, 11:59
If you can put up some pictures or a poster (Ihad a poster of a waterfall) in your room it might be something you can focus on - they make some lovely ones now - that or maybe a sky at night one - whatever you are interested in.....

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 12:17
Thank you everyone :)

I have a canvas painting I did a year or two ago but I can't really put it on a wall as they're slanted, but I'm sure I'll figure something out, I may post back later telling you all how it went :)

Phuzella
22-01-14, 12:25
OK have fun :shades:

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 13:50
Well it's nice and tidy, I've got some incense going as well but I just had an argument with my mum. I'm not doing to well on making it into a place with good memories!

Phuzella
22-01-14, 13:58
Yay, that's a step in the right direction. Mum's can be very argumentative can't they? I know, I'm like it myself lol. My son is abroad at the moment and I miss our arguments!

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 14:02
Hahaha well that's nice of you!