PDA

View Full Version : Counselling

pas74
21-01-14, 07:59
Having my first counselling session this week and a little anxious about what to expect. Normally one for keeping everything buried and with an outward appearance of "yes, everything's fine" am I going to be reduced to a gibbering wreck?

The session is at the local doctors surgery and means walking through the waiting room to exit the building. Thinking that perhaps having a puffed face and snivelling etc doesn't help the anxiety much.

jcd_gad
21-01-14, 08:22
Hi,

The first session can be a bit frustraiting, it will be spent talking about your history from birth to adulthood.

The more information that the councilor has the better. Mine went through a timeline which was actually really good! It sort of made me think more about my feelings of loneliness and why I am the way I am.....

How long is your session by the way?

Rennie1989
21-01-14, 11:35
The first session is about getting to know the fundamentals of why you need counselling so the counsellor can go away and start working out how to approach the sessions, what type of help is needed etc. The first never feels very accomplishing but it will eventually.

Tanner40
21-01-14, 12:26
Congratulations on starting counseling. That's a big first step to take. While it can seem scary, that first session is generally all about taking history. Thismwillmgive your therapist an idea of your background and where the two of you need to begin. While therapy can often feel overwhelming and stressful, it can be immensely helpful, especially if you're one to keep all of your feelings buried. Good luck on this journey.

pas74
21-01-14, 18:32
Thanks everyone for your help. I'm sure everything will be fine and that first session doesn't seem so onerous now :)