PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm Geoff

gsarnold
21-01-14, 09:10
I'm new to this forum but I've been suffering from anxiety for much of my life, I'm now 49, I guess it would strike badly every 2 to 3 years, mainly during the winter. At first I didn't understand what anxiety was but over time, I've gained a good understanding of what it is and how it effects me. I've been lucky in that I've been able to have a reasonable career, been able to travel despite being nervous about flying! I was a Samaritan for a couple of years and can be strong when I'm well but feel ashamed of being so weak when anxiety has got a hold.

In recent years the anxiety has become worse, I think my threshold goes up each time and leads to a more severe attack next time. I worry about not having control because of the headaches, nervous indigestion and not being able to sleep, and a self re-enforcing cycle takes hold. I worry that I will not be able work again, I'm fortunate that I only work part-time at the moment but even that seems a long way off.

Last summer I was in fantastic health and fitness (2 hours sessions at the gym nearly every day), happy and I was shocked when my anxiety came back out of the blue in November. I've tried all the usual things which normally help but just can't seem to make any progress which has made me feel very down. I've had success in the past with CBT, Helen Kennerly's self help book is great, I'm currently on Sertraline and Propanolol. I've been using meditation which does help me to relax but the nights are very difficult.

I am very isolated when I'm ill, which I know does not help and I hope to get the chance to share experiences and support people who are going through a similar experience to me.

Thanks for reading my post.

MrAndy
21-01-14, 09:25
Hi Geoff welcome aboard

Skye2
21-01-14, 18:10
Welcome Geoff - nice to have someone else from Nottingham here :)

MRS STRESS ED
21-01-14, 18:45
:D hello and welcome to nmp Geoff, there is lots of help and support here off like minded people