PDA

View Full Version : Slightest exertion is bringing on panic ?!

cloudbusting
21-01-14, 11:03
Hi all
I am so so down and bloody fed up ! Could someone read, please, and give me your thoughts ?
It would seem now that even the slightest exertion is too much and it's making my heart feel like it's about to burst out of my chest. Surely that can't be right ?
Following on from my panic attack on Friday whilst walking the dog (on another thread) I didn't get a chance to walk him again until just now.
Was a wee bit anxious when I woke up, as most days, but ok on the whole. We are still having money troubles and I had to pay the rent today. So, walked dog at the park, just a gentle 10 minutes of throwing the ball for him then walked back home (it's no distance at all). Then went to the bank to pay the rent.
Was feeling very anxious as I waited in the queue, very aware of all of the people behind me and how long the customers at the counter were taking as they were 'faffing' about :doh: As I waited, I did notice the anxiety level drop everso slightly so was pleased about that. By the time it was my turn it had almost gone.
BUT started the walk back uphill and it just flooded me ! Rapid beats, pounding out of my chest, thought I was going die (the usual). My mouth was as dry as a bone. I ended up walking as slow as a tortoise with a broken leg !
This was less than 20 minutes ago and now I am fine again.
What did I do wrong ? Can't I walk anywhere any more ? Is it ever gonna go away ?
I have a job interview on Thursday ... how the hell will I cope if I get it ? :weep:
Sorry,
Lisa x

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

I guess I just wanted to know if this is being caused by my current extreme sensitivity to any anxiety / adrenaline in my system (is that even a thing ?!) Also, I have had heart and blood checks etc, etc and although everything is very good, I am a little overweight (am currently bringing it down, slowly) and out of condition.

MarcW
21-01-14, 11:20
Hi Lisa,

I had the same symptoms and was prescribed Propanolol which helped cut out these symptoms However it hasnt dealt with the anxiety issue and although my heart no longer pounds I still feel the constant shakes inside, which are sometimes visable and also my legs feel like jelly. I dont know if this is a side effect of the drug, the anxiety or both!

Have you been prescribed anything?

Marc

cloudbusting
21-01-14, 11:44
Hi Marc and thanks for replying.

Yes, I was given some beta blockers ages ago ( hmmm, not for me I'm afraid !) and then propranolol just over a week ago but I haven't taken any as yet. I really wanted to try and tackle this without medication if at all possible.
So, do the propranolol stop the racing heart sensation for you, Marc ? And you say that you would get a racing heart after just a short amount of physical exertion ?

Lisa x

MarcW
21-01-14, 12:07
Hi Marc and thanks for replying.

Yes, I was given some beta blockers ages ago ( hmmm, not for me I'm afraid !) and then propranolol just over a week ago but I haven't taken any as yet. I really wanted to try and tackle this without medication if at all possible.
So, do the propranolol stop the racing heart sensation for you, Marc ? And you say that you would get a racing heart after just a short amount of physical exertion ?

Lisa x

Yeah pretty much. The 1st appointment I ever made with my GP in regards to anxiety (Although I didnt know thats what was wrong at the time) The GP took my heart rate and I could feel it racing and I was shocked when she said "Yeah seems fine" I actually argued this fact with her but together with her measuring my pulse it was actually normal!

Before taking the Propranolol I would feel like I had completed some sort of SAS or Marine style induction training and as a reslut would feel dizzy, disorientated and like I was going to pass out. The drug helped with all this but I feel it has just masked the issue. I've never felt normal since my first attack in August, my personality has completely changed. I constantly feel jittery and ever so slightly off balance but Its better than how I felt before taking the drug.

The next step is to seek counselling which I'll do once my lastest course of Propranolol has finished

cloudbusting
21-01-14, 12:26
It really is the pits, isn't it ?!
I am having CBT which is helping a lot. I think my mindset is in the right place now but I still have these annoying physical symptoms. Still, I didn't get this way overnight so I can't expect it to vanish overnight either !
I'm like you in that I haven't felt 'right' for so long now I'm not sure what I would do with myself if I was !
Do you know of Dr Claire Weekes ? I am a complete devotee, you can Google her work and there is also stuff on YouTube and books that she wrote decades ago. What she says makes so much sense ( to me at any rate).
Thanks for the input, Marc :yesyes:

MarcW
21-01-14, 12:39
Isnt it just!
How are you finding the CBT? I mentioned this to my GP a couple of weeks ago when I was there and she seemed reluctant, which I thought was strange!? Instead they chose to change my dose of Propranolol from 20mg (2x10mg tablets) 3 times a day to an 80mg slow release capsule once a day. The difference in the two hasnt been noticeable really. Thats why when i go back I really want to be referred as ive took their advice and im still no further forward.

Hope we both get sorted sooner rather than later!
x

cloudbusting
21-01-14, 17:34
Well this is just my own opinion but, as 'anxiety / panic' are caused by a train of thought and not by anything physical (if you've got the all clear from the Dr) then it kind of makes sense to tackle those ingrained thoughts and start CBT to help redirect and make new neural pathways.

I am surprised that your GP was reluctant to refer you for it as well. It might be worth checking yourself if you have a depression and anxiety service in your area (I only included 'depression' as that's what the service is called in my area). I don't know if you can self refer ... I think I would just ask your GP again and be a bit more insistent.

Yep, here's to being back to 'normal' one day and not too far ahead :hugs:

x

PhuzzBuzz
21-01-14, 18:12
I've had countless episodes like that. I would recommend listening to or reading Dr. Claire Weekes work, what you describe is what she calls "nervous sensitization", in other words your nerves are so high strung that anything, i.e. feeling your pulse or any other sensation will cause you to panic more. One thing she wrote that helped me very much, "You cannot hurt your heart because of anxiety/panic. If you only knew how strong your heart was you'd stop having 2nd fear". 2nd fear is our reaction to the first thing we sense, our heart racing, for instance. I used to have episodes where I feared climbing a flight of stairs because I sense my heartbeat increasing. It was all my focus on that symptom that caused my true grief. Slowly I would raise my heart rate doing exercise, and after a while my 2nd fear went away. I showed myself that there was nothing to worry about. Hope this helps.

Hi all
I am so so down and bloody fed up ! Could someone read, please, and give me your thoughts ?
It would seem now that even the slightest exertion is too much and it's making my heart feel like it's about to burst out of my chest. Surely that can't be right ?
Following on from my panic attack on Friday whilst walking the dog (on another thread) I didn't get a chance to walk him again until just now.
Was a wee bit anxious when I woke up, as most days, but ok on the whole. We are still having money troubles and I had to pay the rent today. So, walked dog at the park, just a gentle 10 minutes of throwing the ball for him then walked back home (it's no distance at all). Then went to the bank to pay the rent.
Was feeling very anxious as I waited in the queue, very aware of all of the people behind me and how long the customers at the counter were taking as they were 'faffing' about :doh: As I waited, I did notice the anxiety level drop everso slightly so was pleased about that. By the time it was my turn it had almost gone.
BUT started the walk back uphill and it just flooded me ! Rapid beats, pounding out of my chest, thought I was going die (the usual). My mouth was as dry as a bone. I ended up walking as slow as a tortoise with a broken leg !
This was less than 20 minutes ago and now I am fine again.
What did I do wrong ? Can't I walk anywhere any more ? Is it ever gonna go away ?
I have a job interview on Thursday ... how the hell will I cope if I get it ? :weep:
Sorry,
Lisa x

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

I guess I just wanted to know if this is being caused by my current extreme sensitivity to any anxiety / adrenaline in my system (is that even a thing ?!) Also, I have had heart and blood checks etc, etc and although everything is very good, I am a little overweight (am currently bringing it down, slowly) and out of condition.

cloudbusting
21-01-14, 18:26
Hi Phuzzbuzz
I have Claire Weekes' book, I think she's brilliant.
Now I think about it I was worrying about walking back up the hill and raising my heart rate ... which raised my heart rate anyway !
I find it difficult to remember all this stuff when I am in the midst of the sensations, need to practice more :blush:
Thanks so much for replying
Lisa x