PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you are better???

Purdybird
19-07-04, 16:43
I know this sounds silly but how do you know when you are better?

I realise that it's obviously when you stop having panic attacks and stop feeling anxious all the time, but do they just suddenly stop or do they become less frequent and less intense and then stop.

I personally believe that I will feel the full 100% reassured if someone could tell me how it feels to be better.
I'm not making much sense here am I!!!!!!

I haven't had a panic attack really since the one and only attack in April. I have had a few wobble and felt very anxious particularly before I went on holiday for example because I didn't want to have another attack. (and I didn' t ) I have not stopped doing anything at all e.g going to work, driving, shopping etc and will not stop doing anything I am determined

I think what I'm trying to say very inarticulately is, do you think I'm better. If somebody said, yes you are better, I think it would just lift that last bit of doubt.

I'm rambling I know sorry......but does anybody else also feel like this?
In that you feel better and act normal ( what ever that is ) but just have a nagging in the back of you mind that one day the panic may strike again, but you don't know when?

I'll stop now before I totally confuse you all and myself. If anyone does understand what I'm rambling on about I would be grateful.

Thanks everyone for your support you are all great

Meg
19-07-04, 16:55
I had a lot more than 1 panic attack but found the recovery path was that I became anxious but not panic stricken - even though I was anxious about not becomeing panic stricken -.

Then the anxiety became less intense but not less often

Then I found something else to anxious about and had to work through that

Then that lessened in intenseness and then finally it became less often until it was no longer an all consuming issue.

Menstrual times were an issue for much longer than any other time so I would have 3 good weeks and a bad one and then even that improved ..

Does that make any sense ?

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

apm
19-07-04, 17:15
Hi Purdey,

My situation sounde much like yours: one attack in March followed by acute anxiety that slowly faded. Have had anxiety attacks (not full panic), but no repeat of full panic. I consider that I'm well on the road to recovery, but do have twitchy days from time to time. But then again, I'm a bit of a worry bunny anyway!

Sounds like you're doing great. I tend to think of myself as recovering, but not cured- not sure we can ever be completely cured...

Hope this helps, and keep up the positive attitude!

Alex

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

mico
19-07-04, 17:18
Hi Purdybird

Sounds like your doing really well, all I can do is encourage you to keep on doing what you are already doing.

I've suffered from anxiety for about 7 years now, but there was a time in between were I did improve a lot and felt that I was almost over it. I stopped worrying about things all the time, and most of the time felt quite comfortable - although I must say, I did avoid certain things, although I didn't realise it so much because I was so used to living like that and it becomes second nature to avoid certain situations. The problem was, I think, is that I thought I was already there, so I felt I could relax and forget about it...until it creeped up on me again, largely without me noticing.

So now I feel I'm beginning to get to that stage again were I'm worrying less and less, but this time I'm not going to forget about it, I'm determined to make sure I keep practising whatever I'm already doing wether I feel good or not and keep moving forward.

What Meg said sounds very true to me too, and it sounds like your at that stage where your panic is going, but you are still feeling a little anxious, which is what is causing those little niggling thoughts about it coming back. From what you said I would say it sounds like your 90% there, just remember to keep doing what your doing and you'll get there no problem.

mico
19-07-04, 17:25
I've just read my post back, and I hope it doesn't sound scary about how I slipped back into it. I just feel it is important to say that you need to keep up with what your doing even when you are feeling much better. It sounds like your doing great and if you do keep it up then you should have no problem.

andrew
19-07-04, 22:00
hi purdy, when people ask me how i am, i say im better cos i think i am. in general i do feel better, but things that used to make me anxious still do and some new things - whats changed is the intensity of those feelings and my reactions to them. i think ive found a better way to live with myself. thats how i see it - well done to you.
take care .......... andrew

sal
19-07-04, 23:50
Hi Purdy

I guess knowing we feel better will come from within. I have yet to feel it but do have days when i feel i am miles ahead.

Maybe just takes time, but when you feel better and can control it, that is such a good sign.

Dont suppose there are miracle answers, just how you feel at the time.

Good on you for feeling so much better, wish you all the luck in the world mate.

Love Sal xdxxxxx[:P][Yeah!]

stimpy
20-07-04, 23:01
I think you know in yourself when you are "better".

I would define "better" as in able to do more than you could before.
I would also define "recovering" the same way, as you are working on being panic free.
And I guess "cured" is when Mr Panic has packed his bags, taken nervous twinges and perminant anxiety symptoms with him.

I consider myself to be "better" but "recovering" rather than "Cured".

When you are cured it feels fantastic, and you soon find you are taking life for granted again.
I was cured for 4 years before Mr Panic pounced upon me again.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Purdybird
21-07-04, 09:24
Thanks for all the replies.

In conclusion I am going to label myself better - almost cured! It sounds silly but it helps my psychologically if I can call myself better and give myself a label.

If I continue to experience new places and social events without the panic/anxiety my body and mind will learn further still that there is nothing to be afraid of and that I can do it. I have been doing this and can say that I believe I am probably 97% there. It's the really bigies that still get me going, for example I'm off on holiday again in September to Zante, Greece. The flight is making me slightly anxious and the same old 'where is the hospital and what is it like' worries. (if anyone could reassure me on that I would be very grateful )

I think if I didn't have to face a holiday abroad until next year I would say I am cured, because I would not have such a big event to worry about. However, that is just avoidance and it is good for me to go ad prove to myself that nothing will happen. If I can do the holiday in September successfully I will pronounce myself well and truly cured…….hooorah. (Nothing like a bit of pressure eh! )

Anyway rambling again......must get some work done!

Thanks everyone Purdy x

nomorepanic
21-07-04, 21:30
Hi Purdy

I am better but not cured. I know I am better cos I can drive anywhere and don't feel panic like I used to.

BUT ... I am not cured. I still don't do public transport cos I am SCARED and that is something that I need to address. I don't go on planes so I don't get a holiday abroad and I am still not good in traffic jams.

BUT - I feel better, happier and I don't feel dizzy all the time and I don't think that I am going to die anymore.

Will I ever be cured - I hope so. I strive for perfection so I will not say I am better until there are no limits for me and I can do it all

Nicola

Purdybird
22-07-04, 16:48
That sums up how I feel really well Nicola !!

Will I ever be cured - I hope so. I strive for perfection so I will not say I am better until there are no limits for me and I can do it all

However, I feel that the only person who sets those limits is yourself!!

(That isn't meant to sound condescending by the way. I hope you know what I mean)

Thanks again you are all fab!!

Purdy x

nomorepanic
22-07-04, 20:05
Purdy

Yeah I know what you mean and it didn't sound condescending.

I know that I need to challenge myself but at the moment I am enjoying the freedom and the feeling of well being and I am just enjoying that for a while before I start pushing myself again.

I still have limits that need pushing so I will need to look at that next.

Glad all the replies helped.

Nicola

jo-jo
22-07-04, 22:18
Hi there

Purdy, I know what you mean about feeling you need to know where you are. Although my panic attacks lasted only a few months, I would definately say I'm recovering/better as my quality of life has improved rapidly in the last couple of months. I can go shopping, go to the pub, out for a meal, get on a train, drive anywhere and even go on holiday. But .... I still get anxious at the thought of being a passenger in someone else's car, I still get butterflys in my stomach for no obvious reason sometimes, I still need to run to the loo even when my bladder is empty from time to time [:I] plus I constantly think I have something terrible wrong with me even though I know deep down I haven't. I guess I'll know if I'm cured if all this goes away in time and then stays away after the meds have stopped too.

Good luck, you sound as though you are well along the road to recovery!

Love Jo xxx

p.s. Nicola - I'm a perfectionist too and I strive for the day all this will be a thing of the past :D

HB
09-08-04, 15:24
I am guessing you are better when you feeel 100% comfortable with yourself. I wonder if any of us will actually ever be totally cured? fingers crossed!

H

Meg
09-08-04, 17:34
I like to think as 'cured' as being confident, independent and able to cope with any change that life may throw at you.

You may feel uncomfortable at future points in life but are confident in the knowledge that you will cope well and will come out of every challenge with more life experience.

Meg