PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about CBT tomorrow

Kez_miller
21-01-14, 19:20
Hi guys, so i have got my first CBT session tomorrow after 4 years of suffering low moods and anxiety disorder. thing is not only am i extremely nervous about what to expect but i also am very sceptical about what other thing they can do with me that i have not already tried, like self hypnosis tapes and breathing techniques. just can't see myself ever being "fixed" i no this is the wrong attitude but after trying countless things that don't work, u start to loose hope, anyone here been "cured" or ever had cbt and tell me what i can expect?

Fishmanpa
21-01-14, 19:40
Hi guys, so i have got my first CBT session tomorrow after 4 years of suffering low moods and anxiety disorder. thing is not only am i extremely nervous about what to expect but i also am very sceptical about what other thing they can do with me that i have not already tried, like self hypnosis tapes and breathing techniques. just can't see myself ever being "fixed" i no this is the wrong attitude but after trying countless things that don't work, u start to loose hope, anyone here been "cured" or ever had cbt and tell me what i can expect?

I can tell you from what I read and experienced in reading and using the free CBT here. Mind you, I don't have anxiety but I found it useful for some depression I've been dealing with and also just useful for everyday situations.

When I started reading it, it was a lot of common sense. There's power in knowledge and understanding the physiology behind what anxiety does to you will give you quite a few "Ah Ha" moments. Also, the techniques are really based on common sense and seem simple on the surface. Putting them into practice is another story.

You'll have to learn new behaviors and habits that become part of your lifestyle. It's not something you do and you're all better. Remember, you can be healed but never totally cured. The Dragon can come out of his cave at anytime and burn you. So the techniques have to be practiced regularly. Much like going to the gym. Stop going and it's back to square 2-3 to build yourself back up. I would expect your sessions to be somewhat similar and just like getting yourself into physical shape, it will take time, work and patience to get yourself into mental shape. No one becomes a Dragon Slayer overnight ;)

Positive thoughts and good luck!

Sands
21-01-14, 20:13
Fishmanpa I'm sorry but it really annoys me that u keep saying anxiety sufferers can not be cured. U always make a point of it. Says who exactly? I believe that we can be totally cured if we understand what anxiety is so that we never Fall in the trap again. Please stop telling people this, it is so depressing for those that read it. And if u want to learn more about anxiety read Claire weekes, she will tell u can most definitely be cured

Kez_miller
21-01-14, 20:28
Fishmanpa I'm sorry but it really annoys me that u keep saying anxiety sufferers can not be cured. U always make a point of it. Says who exactly? I believe that we can be totally cured if we understand what anxiety is so that we never Fall in the trap again. Please stop telling people this, it is so depressing for those that read it. And if u want to learn more about anxiety read Claire weekes, she will tell u can most definitely be cured

im not gonna deny i shed a little tear after reading fishmanpa post thinking i was going to be stuck like this forever :/

Fishmanpa
21-01-14, 20:37

I base that on the actual meaning between "healed" vs. "cured". Perhaps it's more a matter of semantics.
When one suffers an injury, say a cut that requires stitches, the wound can be healed but the scar remains. When one suffers a bacterial infection, the infection can be completely eradicated with nor signs of the illness no side effects. It's my feeling and belief that a mental illness can be healed but the scars of which remain. One must remain prudent or the wound can be opened again. There was a post to that effect about the scars on the heart that illustrated in a very eloquent way my point.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147967

Sorry Sands, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Positive thoughts

Sands
21-01-14, 21:01
Fishmanpa u don't even suffer from anxiety so who are you to tell people they can't get over this. I would even argue that anxiety isn't a mental illness. Sufferers may well have been left with a scar but that doesn't mean they will ever suffer again, not if they truly understand how they got anxious in the first place and then how they got out. I think it is so wrong to tell people this, it is one of the reasons they stay trapped. So very negative and it certainly doesn't help anyone I'm sure of that

Anna C
21-01-14, 21:18
Hi in my experience cbt is great and can really help. It's about teaching you skills that you can keep using after the cbt ends and it could really help you.
Cbt is hard work and doing the homework is important, as is having a therapist who you get on with.
I'm not sure about being cured I would say that I'm not, but now I can do so much that I couldn't do before. Now I can feel nervous and have some anxiety but it doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do. Now when I feel myself getting anxious or I worry that I will become anxious in a certain situation I try to think so what if I get anxious what's the worst that can happen? Also feeling nervous or a bit anxious in certain situations is normal.
I think when I stopped being scared of anxiety and panic attacks that was the turning point for me. The fear was the worst part for me. Sands mentioned Claire Weekes she explains it all clearly. Learning what I could about anxiety helped - knowledge is power.:)
Please don't assume because you have tried on your own that a therapist won't be able to help the two ladies I saw were brilliant. Good Luck I hope it goes well tomorrow.

mrsnobody
21-01-14, 21:45
Dont be nervous. Cbt is the best thing ive done. I can sleep at night. Iam bavk at work and working through my worrys. Its not easy but with the right support it works.

jen.07
22-01-14, 12:09
hi my names jenny and im new to this im suffering with anxiety and panic disorder and currently undergoing CBT which is great and im making small steps so slowly getting there. i find it hard to talk to other ppl about it so i thought i would try this as everyone can understand. any help of advice in using this forum would be so appreciated, if i see a comment someone has put up and i would like to comment back how do i do this pls? i can quote, MR and QR ????

Phuzella
22-01-14, 12:30
To the left of that it says "post reply" .click on that and post your comment. :)

Rennie1989
22-01-14, 12:46
I found CBT very beneficial, although it did not cure me (and I'm on Fishmanpa's side, I believe I can get so far with my anxiety but I will never be cured, but that's because I started getting anxiety when I was 13 so I know no different/better) it has taught me many techniques and styles which I can apply to every life event and anxiety attack. I was pleased to hear that she thinks I'm 70% cured of panic disorder, that's one illness that can be taken off the list!