PDA

View Full Version : Advice with reducing citalopram

kagney
17-11-06, 10:21
Just looking for so advice of anyone who has come of citalopram. I am hoping to come of as I would like to start trying for a baby in the new year. I have spoken to my doctor who has not been any help. He told me he isn't to familiar with citalopram and he would find out the best way to get of the tablets, but he still hasn't got back to me.

I was on 20mg and slowly reduced to 10mg, I have been on 10mg now probably for about 5 months. Last week I reduced the tablets to 5mg and have been taking them for a week now and so far I am feeling ok. I am wondering what to do next. I am thinking of staying on 5mg for a month and then just stopping? Has anyone else managed to come of these and what way did you do it.

mandie
17-11-06, 10:33
Hi

Cant give u much adivce really. You seem to be coming off slowly which is good. I would still carry on with 5mg for a bit longer.

I have been coming off mine for the past few months, as i would like to try for a baby to.

I think i have come off to quick now, i have been taking one 10mg every 5 or 6 days now. I have started feeling panicky again so i think will have to go back to doctors and start again

good luck

love mandie x

Chopper
17-11-06, 10:55
Morning Kagney,

I've recently gone up to 40mg a day as my aggitation/anxiety/depression was increasing, daily for about the last three weeks. I'm not even thinking about reducing the dosage until at least the spring and then doing so VERY gradually.

I'm just about managing the side-effects but am getting more and more tired - possibly as a result of eating very little (lack of appetite is one of my side-effects, constant nausea another) and the nervous energy I'm burning - even though I'm using a lightbox to simulate natural light.

If they work for you then keep taking them until you're really, really sure it's time to reduce the dosage.

Happiness and light to you all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

woofybaby
19-11-06, 10:35
Hey,

I came off Citalopram about 2 months ago to start trying for a baby. i'd been on them for just over a year and it took me about 4 1/2 months to come off them. I did it really slowly and in the end was taking 1/2 a 10mg tablet every other day, and then every 3 days and then every 4 days etc etc. I was OK when I finally stopped taking them, but had the odd 'wobble' for a couple of weeks afterwards.

To be honest, I've wondered numerous times since if I've done the right thing, but I know I can't take them if I want a baby and that is what is keeping me going!

Good luck and lets hope we all get pregnant soon!!

Ruth x

flatterycat
19-11-06, 11:14
Hiya

I have been on Citalopram now for nearly 8 years, although I hate to write that down because I feel a bit of a freak having taken them for so long! [:I]I have to say though that they have really helped - I am a deputy headteacher and it can be really stressful sometimes, but despite having severe anxiety I have been able to lead a relatively normal life. I put this down to the meds. Anyway, I am now in the progress of coming off them. I am down from 20mg to 10mg a day. My next step will be to do 5mg / 10 mg every other day, then 5mg every day. After this I hope to do 5mg every other day and slowly reduce them to nothing! Bit complicated and I'll probably forget, but I'm hoping it'll work. My husband and I want to try for a baby so it's given me the kick up the backside that I need. Good luck with your reduction too. x

Two heads
20-11-06, 10:19
Well hi all!
I have been taking citalopram since march and have also decided its now time for me to reduce my dose.I have found the meds have worked wonders for me but i really dont want to be on them for ever.
Im going to reduce my dose the same way really as fatterycat,except im going to drop to 15mg at frist rather than 10mg.Then in two months i will drop to 10mg and a month later i will do 10mg every other day and 5mg everyother day.Then 5mg for a month.I really hope it works out for you all.
Good luckxx

mushroomwirral
20-11-06, 11:49
i tried to reduce but my GP upped the dosage from 10 to 20 mg which suits me fine but trying to reduce last time 6 months ago was a disaster? good luck from dave

live for today as tomorrow may not ever come