PDA

View Full Version : CT scan Vs MRI

Panic Manic
21-01-14, 22:29
I have a CT scan in about 3 hours (8pm my time) and I'm nervous about the dyes and whatnot, they have me on the day before steroid prep 'cos I'm allergic to the IV stuff...

Has anyone else gone the CT instead of MRI route?

Panic Manic
22-01-14, 12:27
Well radiocolgitic said the CT was a waste of time.. interesting...

Fishmanpa
22-01-14, 13:24
A CAT scan certainly is less expensive but there are other differences and applications as well.

A CAT scan is better suited for bone injuries, lung and chest imaging and detecting cancers while a MRI is better suited for examining soft tissue like ligament and tendon injury, spinal cord injury, brain tumors etc.

During my battle with cancer I had several of all three types. I had Tomotherapy (radiation) and the machine did a CAT scan prior to each treatment to adjust the rad beams precisely as to minimize collateral damage to surrounding tissue. A MRI and PET scans were performed to look for any metastasis elsewhere in my body.

A CAT scan can be performed with or without contrast. You're getting one with contrast if you're getting the dye. Other than giving me a warm fuzzy in my groin (felt like I had to pee), there were no ill effects.

Curious as to why the tech said it was a waste of time. What were they checking for?

Positive thoughts and good luck!

Panic Manic
22-04-14, 16:16
A CAT scan certainly is less expensive but there are other differences and applications as well.

A CAT scan is better suited for bone injuries, lung and chest imaging and detecting cancers while a MRI is better suited for examining soft tissue like ligament and tendon injury, spinal cord injury, brain tumors etc.

During my battle with cancer I had several of all three types. I had Tomotherapy (radiation) and the machine did a CAT scan prior to each treatment to adjust the rad beams precisely as to minimize collateral damage to surrounding tissue. A MRI and PET scans were performed to look for any metastasis elsewhere in my body.

A CAT scan can be performed with or without contrast. You're getting one with contrast if you're getting the dye. Other than giving me a warm fuzzy in my groin (felt like I had to pee), there were no ill effects.

Curious as to why the tech said it was a waste of time. What were they checking for?

Positive thoughts and good luck!

They said the brain tumors don't show up as well than on an MRI and I am known to be pron to developing tumors. The full MRI and several other scans showed the doctors to be right.. now I have to do a PET scan. Thankfully the tumors are non cancerous.

abhaytheone
25-10-14, 19:24
what do you mean prone to devoloping tumors what did ct scan show