PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Anxiety/Mental Health Concern - Recent College Grad - Please Read

drjrey
22-01-14, 11:39
Hey, everyone. My name's Jack, and I'm a recent graduate from one of the top liberal arts schools in the nation. I only mention that to hint at the fact that I have put a lot of genuine, thorough thought into this post (unlike some posts I have read), and that I will -- I think -- be able to accurately portray all of my anxiety-related concerns and issues, while also telling a decently interesting story of my recent, hectic, confusing life.

Anxiety. Boy, it has to be one of God's most cruel inventions. Throughout my time in college (I graduated in May of 2013), I suffered from a few panic attacks, but I never took the time to realize what was going on. I was a college football player, musician, and student, so I was often very busy. Whenever I would suffer through a panic attack, they seemed to have little effect on me, mainly because I was so unlearned on what anxiety was that my mind couldn't even comprehend that it was supposed to worry/freak out! I almost wish that was the case now.

Last spring, my friends and I went on spring break to Puerto Vallarta, where I made the immature decision to partake in drug use. Ecstasy and cocaine. Not a lot, but it was paired with a ton of drinking. Keep in mind, though, my friends and I were always heavy drinkers, being athletes, and it's part of the culture. So, 5 days of binge drinking with a little drug-use was no big deal. However, after doing those drugs the second night, I woke up the next day and began the worst day of my life. My brain had never felt that way before. I couldn't stop panicking, and I didn't know what I was worried about. I felt I was going to die. I knew I was going to die. Anyway, that fear has basically continued on to this day, just at a significantly less degree. I've learned to manage my panic attacks, so I suffer from them significantly less often. However, the looming fear that another one may happen keeps my mind in a state of constant fear. Since that anxiety attack, I have begun to suffer a number of strange symptoms, which I will now list:

1. Panic attacks
2. Perpetual full-body tremors, most noticeably in my hands. They shake at all times. This has only been going on for a few months and has me very concerned.
3. Cold hands and feed (poor circulation?)
4. Dizziness when standing up. I know people will suggest a new diet, but I am a health freak and eat often. It's not my diet or dehydration. Again, poor circulation?
5. Strange sensation in my tongue where it starts to feel very tight, as if I am going to have some sort of seizure and swallow my tongue.
6. Anxiety and a looming, perpetual fear of basically nothing for about a year now. I fear that I am going crazy and that, one day, I will no longer enjoy the things I normally do. On Christmas, for example, I feared I wouldn't be as happy and excited as I normally am to be with family opening gifts, and it kind of ruined the day.
7. Mild depression/confusion. Recently having graduated college and struggling with my career choices, fears of letting people down definitely add to the stress.
8. Ectopic heart beat. I had heart pain several months ago for weeks long, but I went to the cardiologist for an EKG and 24 hour monitor. Everything seems to be okay for now.
9. Overall, I just haven't been the "Happy Jack" (once my nickname) that I was about a year ago. I think very deeply now. It is as if this whole anxiety/concern thing has given me great perspective on life. I think about religion and death more than I do sports, politics, and money. I've left a career path in finance, where I'd obtain great wealth and materialistic success, and, instead, have pursued my love for music, where I will more than likely remain middle-to-lower class but will find happiness in doing what I love.

Basically, it seems as if my entire brain chemistry has changed and that I no longer think the same way I once did, only months ago. No one truly knows any of this about me. I hide it so well, and I fear bringing it up. My mom's sister suffers from a mental disorder, and my younger brother recently went through his own anxiety-related issues (he is all fine now, but had to take a year off from Princeton University. He, too, sees the world like I do, in that you should pursue what you love over what will make you money). So, I hate to bring the added stress of my mental-issues to my mom who has had to deal with so much already, especially when I'm the one in our family who is known for being silly and making the family laugh.

I did tell my doctor about my anxiety months ago, but played it off like it wasn't too big of a deal. He prescribed me a benzo, and after a few days of taking it...I don't want to say I was contemplating suicide, but simply the idea of it entered my mind. For example, I questioned what drives people to do it. The benzos also made me significantly less happy, so that, paired with my strange contemplation of the idea of suicide, made me throw the drug away.

What scares me the most is that there is a history of mental illness in my family. A cousin is schizophrenic and my aunt is "crazy." I don't think that is going to happen to me, but I think that my constant worrying that it might happen is making all of this worse...

To be honest, I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this post. I know that I undoubtedly suffer from some sort of mental disorder. I am simply not as happy and confident in life as I once was. What scares me most is the physical symptoms, like the perpetual shakes and tongue sensation.

I think I am going to have a CBC done to limit my list of potential issues. Does anyone suggest any other tests? Any advice/suggestions/thoughts? I guess I'm just reaching out to hear what others have to say, and maybe to hear that I'm not alone, in one case or another. Thanks so much. I hope you are all doing amazing.

All the best,
Jack

HoneyLove
22-01-14, 12:11
Hi Jack, welcome to the forum :)

If you're worried about the mental health issues that run in your family then you should visit a doctor who won't just brush you off with a benzo. This type of drug isn't safe to take long term, and they should really have talked to you about better options to deal with your anxiety in the long run.

To me it seems that the binge you went on with your friends triggered the first initial panic and anxiety, which isn't unusual considering what you were up to - some of us are just a bit more sensitive than others to that kind of stuff. But what's happened is like that first attack has triggered a highly stressed state and a fear of the anixety itself. This isn't unusal really, it happens that way for a lot of anxiety/panic sufferers.

It's not that your brain chemistry has changed, it's more likely that you've just been shocked and stressed by what happened, and it's turned into a cycle of more anxiety and further stress.

What you need to do is focus on calming your nervous system back down to a relaxed state again, and you may find that the anxiety comes back under control again.

Learning a little about anxiety and how it works would be a good start for someone bright like yourself, you'd probably benefit from a little knowledge on what's happening in your body, the different hormones involved and what happens to you when you're chronically stressed.

When you're stressed all the time the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) is in control, and this will make you feel on edge, panicky and can evoke many different types of physical symptoms like the tremours and ectopic heartbeats you mentioned. It's our fear of how we feel that allows this state to continue, more and more stress hormones are released in your body that will perpetuate how you feel.

The way to combat this is to kick the Parasympathetic Nervous System (PNS) into action using different methods. Deep relaxation, meditation, breathing exercises, yoga, massage will all help - anything that will put you into a very relaxed state. I'm not talking about the regular kind of chilling out by watching TV or having a nap, I mean in particular things like meditation that will put your brain into a certain state and activate the PNS. This needs to be done on a daily basis.

Other things that will help are ones that help you raise levels of endorphins in your body regularly, so getting exercise and doing things that make you laugh or make you happy. This is an important part, if you do something that makes you feel good every day it will help your baseline levels of happiness. You might be interested in research from the Heartmath Institute, give them a google to see what they do!

It sounds like you eat fairly well already, but just make sure that you're avoiding stimulants like caffeine, sugar and energy drinks. Similarly avoid depressants like alcohol. This doesn't mean avoiding them forever, but only until you're in a more relaxed state and can handle how they will stimulate your nervous system a bit better.

You also might find Cognitive Behavioural Therapy helpful to deal with the panic attacks and irrational thoughts, it's highly recommended for anxiety sufferers. It really helped me a few years ago.

About the tongue twitching - this can also be connected to muscle tension, but it's a weird one I know, anxiety can do strange things to the body. I experienced something similar a few years ago, it turned out to be part of an acid reflux problem. Remember that stress & anxiety can worsen reflux, so it's possible this is part of the issue, hard to tell though! Reflux can also cause palpiations or ectopic heartbeats.

Some books I'd recommend that you read:

Self Help for the Nerves - Claire Weekes
Flagging Stress - Dr Harry Barry
When Panic Attacks - Aine Tubridy
Control Stress - Paul McKenna (there's a great CD with this)
Soul Centered - Sarah McClean (explains about meditation & the science behind why it helps)

You'll also find simply googling 'stress management' will turn up loads of helpful websites, the basics of treating anxiety are the same as stress management, anxiety is like being chronically stressed.

The sidebar on this website has lots of helpful links and information, and there's also a great site called Calm Clinic that is very informative.

Fishmanpa
22-01-14, 12:32
Hi Jack,

HLove gave you a very thorough and thoughtful reply. Take what she said to heart. It's obvious you're a bright guy so understanding the physiology of what's going on will better help you control the Dragon. There's a free CBT course here that is a start to gaining a handle on things. Many here have had success with it.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131665

Positive thoughts

drjrey
22-01-14, 20:12
I want to thank you both for your help. You are both incredibly kind. Good karma is coming your way ;)

Freaked
23-01-14, 01:34
Firstly, let me reassure you you don't seem to be exhibiting the symptoms of schizophrenia, just anxiety (at least as far as a psych student with a focus on schizophrenia can see). Schizophrenia is different. And anxiety can definitely cause the shifting life focuses you've experienced; in a desire to feel better, many people find they can only work on things that make them happy. I have experienced the same issue.

Secondly, all your symptoms are frequently caused by anxiety, but maybe keep an eye on the dizziness while standing. Make your breathing slow (count 4 in, and 8 out, slowly) and see if it helps. If it continues and it only happens when you stand, maybe ask your doc about it? Some people your age can develop intermittent low blood pressure and fast heart rate when standing (normally for no particular reason). Did you tell the doctors you saw that your issues started after cocaine use? They would probably have wanted to order an echocardiogram. If you haven't mentioned that, you really should.

drjrey
23-01-14, 07:01
Thank you for your post. It's great to hear soothing information from someone with a background in psychology. And, no. I did not mention the cocaine usage. I admit that I was very shy/ignorant when I had my meeting with the doctor many months ago. Since then, I have developed a new maturity in regards to my mental health issues (the whole "first step is admitting you have a problem" situation). I'm in music production school as of now, but class ends for good on Friday, after which I will return home and make an appointment soon. I will mention it then. Thank you for your help.

Any other readers are encouraged to post, as well. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:01 ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 ----------

I'd also like to take a moment to praise this site for its incredibly helpful nature. Nowadays, with all the horrible things that go one daily, it is very easy to think of the world and its people as being greedy, cruel, and self-centered. Yet, there are places like this where people genuinely care about others. If only the entire world emulated their personalities and actions off of the character portrayed by this website.