PDA

View Full Version : Neck and Shoulder Tension

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 14:18
Hello everyone,

My neck/shoulder tension is really starting to bug me, I'm pretty sure I know what's causing it (bad posture & TMJ) but it's causing me some problems when I do exercise and it can get annoying when I'm just sitting there. sometimes it feels like the top on my neck is constricting and to be honest the muscle there feels pretty solid as well haha :)

It's fine when I stand and sit properly it just seems to flare up when I've moved it a bit too much, or when I'm sitting unsupported.

Baths and massages give me temporary relief but it seems like anything else aggravates it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to release some of the tension?

Thank you :)

MrAndy
22-01-14, 14:23
stretching and yoga

hangingbasket
22-01-14, 14:23
I do daily progressive muscle relaxation. It helps a bit but I think most of my tension occurs when I'm asleep which I can't control. My ribs hurt everyday so if you find an answer I'd love to hear it too :)

TooMuchToLiveFor
22-01-14, 14:26
I struggle with terrible neck tension pain, tmj, and headaches. We all joke that my muscles feel like petrified wood.

I have a wonderful chiropractor. He does ultrasound treatment, acupuncture and adjustments. When I was on a good regime with him last year I went months without a migraine or headache- and that hadn't happened in years.

There are many foods that exaggerate inflammation, and also many different foods/spices that help relieve inflammation. You might look into that.

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 14:27
Yeah I got put off yoga because of the horrible feeling I got in my upper neck, it's a shame because it helped me soooo much in the past.

I usually eat a lot of anti inflammatory spices, turmeric ect. I've started using ibuprofen gel for my jaw lately as well so maybe I should use it for my neck.

TooMuchToLiveFor
22-01-14, 14:38
If you can work through the initial issues with yoga- in the longterm it may still go back to helping you. :)

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 14:43
Hopefully, I think I may have caused it myself as I think I could of used the wrong oil to massage a while ago, but I'm not sure, it's just a horrible feeling .

Andrash
22-01-14, 15:41
Buy a pillow designed for neck pain/problems. Does miracles, for neck as well as for TMJ. Ask for one with "memory foam" that "remembers" the best posture for your head and neck while sleeping :)

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 16:14
Ooo good idea!

I've used one of those v shaped pillows for years but it's not as comfortable as it once was, maybe it's the pillow after all !

Fishmanpa
22-01-14, 16:23
Baths and massages give me temporary relief but it seems like anything else aggravates it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to release some of the tension?

For sore and or tight muscles, OTC rubs like Ben Gay and Icy Hot help as well as a heating pad.

And all kidding aside, sex is a fantastic stress reliever ;)

Positive thoughts

denix
22-01-14, 16:27
If you can afford it, try seeing an osteopath. I did this recently and it's been really good. I've had neck/upper back tension to the point where it gets really solid and can't look over my shoulder, and needed physio to sort it out. Osteopath made a lot more difference than private physio, and was about 2/3 of the price.

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 16:28
Ahahaha thanks Fishmanpa, I was waiting for someone to say that!

And thank you denix, I need to see an oesteopath about my jaw so I'll have to ask then :)

Framer
22-01-14, 19:34
I've been lurking here for a while and thought I would chime in on this one since I had bad neck and shoulder tension with my HA over the last couple months.

I've done three things that really seemed to help.

First I had a 90 min deep tissue massage. This probably helped the least; but it was one of the first things I did when I decided to do something, so who knows. Maybe it was the catalyst that made the other things work better.

Second, a couple weeks after the massage, someone recommended using a tennis ball to roll out the knots in my neck and shoulders. This really seemed to help. I did this twice for about 10 min each.

Lastly, I had an ergonomic evaluation at work. They dropped the arm rests really low to where my shoulders were now falling instead of being lifted. As simple as it sounds, I think this was the biggest help.

Good luck,
Brent

LunaLiuna
22-01-14, 19:38
Thank you for the reply!

I've heard of the tennis ball thing, I think it's called myofacial release. thanks for reminding me of that, I was going to do it but ended up forgetting.