PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

purplebear
17-11-06, 14:48
Thank you for those of you who gave me a warm welcome! I woke up this morning feeling a little better. I think I cried enough last night that I past out. Of course after trying to consentrate on my breathing. It was amazing see other people who go through the same thoughts that I do. I am not sure how I eneded up finding this place, but I am very glad that I did. I AM NOT ALONE!

What helps the most to try and "get over" what we have? I mean is it therapy, meds, this place? What works best for you guys? I would hate to be on meds (my husband and I are trying to have a baby!), but when I get like I did last night I lose any type of control that I had. The fear just takes over! I am so afraid of dying I can't bare to watch it on TV. On General Hospital (yes I love it) A character has cancer and I have to fast forward through it! I hear stories of other people's illnesses and when I have the slightest symptom I must have what they have and go nuts! What works for you guys??

Christina :-)

manmoor
17-11-06, 15:04
Hi Christina,

I have been where you are now. I used to never be able to read a magazine without flicking to the medical pages first to read symptoms on the illnessess to see if they matched mine. I bought up to 15 magazines a week for this reason. I couldn't watch programmes on tv where somebody had an illness as it set me off big time. If I met somebody and they told me that someone I knew had a form of cancer I had to ask what their symptoms were etc then I googled for hours on end and ended up in a rut that lasted for years. Since joining this site I no longer do those things anymore thank god and it's because everybody here is so helpful and understanding and as you say we are not alone. I know being here has made a big impact on my health anxiety and it will with yours too very soon.

Take Care

Mandyxx

Piglet
17-11-06, 15:32
Have a good look at some of our help/advice pages as possible avenues to start on.

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Humly
20-11-06, 09:33
Just read your posts and wanted you to know that I have also been there. Over the years I have worried myself into a state about various symptoms which I convinced myself were deadly serious - mainly cancer related. My tips on dealing with this is to first of all come on this site and have a good read of the various posts. Dont hesitate to come on and talk about your worries. You will find that many people have had the same concerns as you, and you will get loads of advice and encouragement.

I also find that when I am really bad it helps to write everything down on paper. When you read it back, somehow you can rationalize things better and you realise that you are totally over-reacting.

Lots of people swear by the books by Claire Weeks and somebody recommended the book "Its not all in your head" by Gordon J G Asmundson and Steven Taylor which is specifically aimed at health anxiety. I have found this really helpful.

You could try some herbal remedies if you dont want to go on medication. I also dont want to go down that route. But check first where you stand with regards to pregnancy etc. What about some kind of therapy. Loads of info on here about that.

Finally, if you are feeling very bad, speak to your doctor. He/she sees this type of thing all the time. There is no shame in admitting you have a problem and you may just need something in the short term while you get yourself back on track.

Take care and remember you are not alone. We are all here to listen.

LT